Are we sure my timing is out????? Help please

General Bike chat
fordstorm

Are we sure my timing is out????? Help please

Post by fordstorm »

I put a post up last summer about my bike not reving past 7000rpm and was sounding like the problem was that timing is out 180 degrees.. However I have just had the bike back out today and I would now say the symptoms are different as I have now tried taking the bike past 7000rpm and it does go through and rev rite out to the limiter it just bogs down and stutters abit through it another thing I have noticed is that it is smelling quite rich. So could it be that this May actually be a carb issue and not the timing out??

Any info or help would be good please
8541Hawk

Re: Are we sure my timing is out????? Help please

Post by 8541Hawk »

It could also be the pick up for the ignition.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

8541Hawk wrote:It could also be the pick up for the ignition.
how would that work?
Watty

Post by Watty »

I believe bogging down before the limiter is one of the symptoms of timing being 180 degrees out mate :? . Someone will be along shortly though with way more knoledge than me 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

just dont see how its become 180 out although it has always done it since i have had it. and it feels like a bit of a og down a 7 or just after 7 and then revs through but not in a couple or a few bursts if that makes any sense and between say 9000 rpm to the limiter it is perfect
darkember

Post by darkember »

Check the plugs & see how fowled they look. If they are wet & oily then you will be running rich. This could be a number of things. The fuel mixture screws are screwed out too far, float could be sticking. Before tearing things apart would you happen to know if the bike has been staged to any degree?? If it is all standard then best to remove & fully strip & service the carbs this will also confirm if the jet sizes are standard. At the same time check the timing to make sure it is in spec.
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

darkember wrote:Check the plugs & see how fowled they look. If they are wet & oily then you will be running rich. This could be a number of things. The fuel mixture screws are screwed out too far, float could be sticking. Before tearing things apart would you happen to know if the bike has been staged to any degree?? If it is all standard then best to remove & fully strip & service the carbs this will also confirm if the jet sizes are standard. At the same time check the timing to make sure it is in spec.
the bike is totally standard all jets e.c.t are standard sizes i will look into it running rich e.c.t but would like to get this timing thing cleared up first and wanting to know if these symptoms sound like timing issue?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

it does sound like the timing is out, I should know I rode my bike for 2yrs with the timing out, when I first bought the bike it didn't bog down at all, so when I started playing with the carbs because i'd fitted an exhaust and jet kit, I couldn't get the bike to rev smoothly without it bogging down, this went on for 2yrs, trying lots of different settings, I kept telling myself that it can't be the timing as the bike did originally rev smoothly to the redline, so after 2yrs me and cybercarl finally checked the timing, and yes it was 180 out, what we found out was that a bike can be jetted to run smoothly to the redline even when the timings out. try and ride another storm back to back with yours, you'll notice the difference at 6500/7000 revs, the bike with the correct timing will pull so much harder at 7000rpm.
i'm not saying that your bikes timing is out, but does what i'm saying sound familiar?
at 7k your bike holds back, fighting to get past that point, eventually it does but it doesn't feel that strong, and when you ride with another storm, you'll be quicker away from the lights and up to 6500 rpm, but then the other bike will out accelerate you from that point onwards.
check the simple things first, plugs,coils,petcock diaphragm, vacuum pipes and so on, but my moneys on your timing being out, the good news is that it doesn't cost anything to put right, well that's if your handy with the spanners or know someone who is.
goodluck finding the problem buddy
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

After checking the timing, take everything back to standard settings, ensure you have new plugs/air filter etc. Otherwise you are trying to pin the tail on a donkey (who might not even be there). The bike will pull like a train and smoothly in standard trim.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

ok then its gotta be checked so ill do it this weekend. the only thing i dont understand is that i have read a couple of times that you take it all apart and then turn the crank 1 full turn anti clockwise???? this would just put it back to exactly were it was before?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

the only thing i dont understand is that i have read a couple of times that you take it all apart and then turn the crank 1 full turn anti clockwise???? this would just put it back to exactly were it was before?
The timing marks will be the same but it's where the pulse fires in comparison to the other cylinder.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ut#p259219

180 out can be masked over IIRC with smaller main jets, but not perfect. If your jetting is all as standard then that should be fine and there is another issue. You should have a very noticeable difference between being 180 out or not. It's worth a try as it wont damage the engine and it will run OK. If it's worse then swap it back, if it's better then it's likely it was 180 out to begin with. If 180 out you gain more low down power at the sacrifice of top end.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

My bike was 180o out for about an hour :p.

It'll pop and bang a bit and sounds weird (really lumpy). It'll accelerate as normal (ish) for a while but 7k it'll just stop revving like it's given up then slowly climb from there.
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

Xenocide wrote:My bike was 180o out for about an hour :p.

It'll pop and bang a bit and sounds weird (really lumpy). It'll accelerate as normal (ish) for a while but 7k it'll just stop revving like it's given up then slowly climb from there.

How do they become 180 out surely its by someone putting it out?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

fordstorm wrote:
Xenocide wrote:My bike was 180o out for about an hour :p.

How do they become 180 out surely its by someone putting it out?
chances are you've had the cct's replaced and the person that did it balls' it up. :roll:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

nope because i replaced the ccts with manuals and done it without even touching the timing plus its done this since i bought the bike.