General Biker Banter
lloydie

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by lloydie »

Good work big man
Tam Cunningham

Post by Tam Cunningham »

A wash and a polish. Was gonna give it a run out but then it started drizzling with rain, so just walked the JRT's instead :D
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Moved it around a little to tidy the garage up .

Fitted brake and clutch levers and changed brake fluid on scouse's vtr hope he made it home ok !
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Had a play with the vipers today. Have found that I can get them level but the new left link pipe is bent to far inwards bringing the end of the can further in that should be. Not a happy bunny as I have been on the phone to the place I got them from and getting no where fast with replacement link pipes. Doesn't help they didn't send the clamps either :thumbdown: if there is no update tomorrow I shall be demanding my money back. But I have removed the whole exhaust system and I shall be smoothing out the inside lip on the header pipes and hopefully giving them a long over due clean tomorrow. Finger crossed. Was going to make a start today but the battery on my demel died :(
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ckennedy wrote:Had a play with the vipers today. Have found that I can get them level but the new left link pipe is bent to far inwards bringing the end of the can further in that should be.
If the rearmost end is too far in, then the link pipe end is too far out, or not far enough pushed on to the system.
One problem can be that the system isn't centered under the bike- if you fix and tighten the exhaust clamps before fitting the link pipes and cans.

Before you throw them back, try loosening everything off and seeing if you can get the RH side link and can fitted first.
This is because the LH side is almost at right angles, and so it's easy to push it on a bit more or less to get an equal can alignment at the outlets.
Height is merely adjusting the LH one, same reasons.

So you need to get the RH one fixed first.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I have been having a good go at it today. I am going to try again tomorrow. I can get it near enough but with no clamps (which should have come with the link pipes for both ends) its hard to tighten it all up. I also need a new on for the rear header pipe where it meet the rest of the down section. Do you think a standard car exhaust clamp could fit? The U shaped one with the rounded plate that helps clamp it all together
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Well I having tried re fitting the exhaust system but I have made a start on cleaning up the headers. Need to dig out the mains powered drill as the battery one died after 20mins use 8O so I shall leave it for today and start again tomorrow. Just waiting for some new clamps to arrive which should be tomorrow and then I can try getting everything level and where it should be :thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

took a few more parts off this morning, I can't remember the order of removal tho, should I prop the bike up from the underside (exhaust is off, so I can rest the bike on its sump) take the rear wheel off, then unbolt the rear shock, then tack the forks and front wheel off, lastly unbolt the frame, I spoke to my travelling spanner monkey buddy today, he was still in the back of beyond, I think he'll need waterwings to get back to londonium.. :lol:
low rider styleeee!!!!!
Last edited by agentpineapple on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Do you have the means of hanging the bike by any chance?
Jamie :wave:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Jamoi wrote:Do you have the means of hanging the bike by any chance?
unfortunately no..... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Hmm... I think I'd loosen all the wheel bolts and swingarm bolt. Jack the bike up from the sump just enough to get the weight off the wheels, remove the front wheel, remove the forks. Then remove the rear wheel followed by the swingarm.

I think that would work.

Luckily I hung my bike from the ceiling which made the whole thing a doddle!
Jamie :wave:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Rode back from Sussex in the cold rush-hour traffic :( Bike is running lovely with the cans re-packed. Wow what a difference. Fueling is not perfect but not far off. As soon as spring comes I shall have a play around with that. Got some more packing here so shall do the last bit hopefully this week sometime. Going to pack them as dense as I can at the link pipe/hottest end of the cans. Then I can put the straps and all the rivets back in, seal up any leaks etc.
Luckily I hung my bike from the ceiling which made the whole thing a doddle!
Abbastand mounted of engine, remove rear end, support under sump (bricks/timber), remove front end, remove frame and leave the engine sitting on the support. :plainsmile
took a few more parts off this morning, I can't remember the order of removal tho
ImageAnd to think you would not have been able to remove the tank a year ago. Well done...saves me the bulk of it. :clap: :clap:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Cooked if I can put it back together again tho, I will need that castle tool thingy tomorrow,
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Had a few hours spare today so I chopped up a spare tatty front sprocket cover
ImageImage
I'm undecided !
Don't know wether I like it or not
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't think you have enough lip covering the chain. How's that going to stop the sprocket falling off if it comes loose. Doesn't it require a cover over the sprocket for an MOT. How about cutting shapes out of an OM sprocket cover. A window bit like doing a clutch cover so you have a bar a bit like Coerse going across it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside