Disabled Motorbike Riders Association

General Biker Banter
Fireman on a Storm

Disabled Motorbike Riders Association

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

http://www.nabd.org.uk/whoare.htm

Today I was teaching a CBT.

One of my students walked with a bad limp. It turned out the was the end result of a massive brain hemorrhaged at the age of 21. After 2 Major brain opps and being told he would never walk again he was determined to prove the doctors wrong. 10 year further on after a hell of a lot of hard work, he is taking a CBT on a scooter. He wanted to ride a motorbike but because of his problems with his left foot and leg he thought is was not piratical.

I had seen a documentary on this group on TV. Searched for them today on tinternet.
I now have a very happy pupil who is now planning to say 'sod' the scooter and looking into riding a proper motorbike.

I have the up most respect for him, a man of real determination.

I though I would share this with you just out of interest. It's amazing what this association can do to keep bikers biking.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have also seen the TV documentary sometime ago and thought then what admiration I had for these less fortunate people than ourselves, with so much determination to achieve their goal of getting back on the road, it was as if no mountain was to high to climb :!:

Chris.
VTRgirl

Re: Disabled Motorbike Riders Association

Post by VTRgirl »

Fireman on a Storm wrote:He wanted to ride a motorbike but because of his problems with his left foot and leg he thought is was not piratical.
Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but as long as you haven't taken someone for whom it really isn't practical, and talked them into getting on a bike. :? If there's nothing really stopping him though, three cheers! And good on you for helping him to realise his dream.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
Fireman on a Storm

Re: Disabled Motorbike Riders Association

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

VTRgirl wrote:
Fireman on a Storm wrote:He wanted to ride a motorbike but because of his problems with his left foot and leg he thought is was not piratical.
Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but as long as you haven't taken someone for whom it really isn't practical, and talked them into getting on a bike. :? If there's nothing really stopping him though, three cheers! And good on you for helping him to realise his dream.
Definitely not. I gave help and advice on the information he gave me.
His left foot won't play the game and change gear for him. This is why he thought he had no chance of riding a proper bike. The NABD was set up by disabled bikers for disabled bikers. There answer for problems like this is we'll move the gears somewhere else.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

That's great. And like I said, good on you for helping him realise his dream. 8)
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
droid

Post by droid »

Agreed
2 examples - guy on a Gold Wing outfit, wheelchair on hydraulic lift on back of chai
and a bloke i met in Wales with a Gixer1100 chair. Rode it one legged, and NOT SLOW

my greatest admiration to the both of 'em, and to your learner, Fireman.