What bike next...

General Bike chat
darkember

Re: What bike next...

Post by darkember »

popkat wrote:
Ckennedy wrote:Poplar: in regards to the fueling issues is it really an issue that you can feel with the running of the bike or just something for the perfectionist? Are the later models any good or better off with the later ones?
06 models had abrupt fuelling going back on the throttle, this was due to fuel cut (emissions). when the throttles closed the ecu cuts fuel then when you open the throttle again it squirts fuel in causing what feels like a jerk/stutter, if your smooth with the throttle it doesn't notice so much. it can be cured with an Ivans fuel cut eliminator (fce) which costs about £150, from 07 onwards they altered the transition and they are much smoother, there are quite a few 06 models on 07 plates which is why I said 08 onwards. in 2010 they altered the ecu again to make it even better, mine was an 09 and was fine. I serviced my old one earlier this year and it had a bit of this jerkiness, which it never had before, I sync'd the throttle bodies and it was good again.
08 on Fazer is going to cost a barrel load of cash compared to the price he will get for the Storm
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Price wise it all depends on bank/finance company but I'm looking at 5500 being my limit. Don't really want to go any higher unless it is the right bike. Don't mind going slightly over that but not much more. Would like to stay under 5k if I can.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Yeah should be able to pick up an 09 for £4500-5000 with a few extra's and no more than 10k miles, there's a fair few on ebay, most will take offers, worth checking completed listings for real prices.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
darkember

Post by darkember »

Remember though the fazer is a particularly high reving motor compared to some other IL4's I would really test ride one before deciding. Check this review:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... 000-fazer/

Bazza also rode one up to Bennys funeral & said it was alien compared to the Storm.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/biker ... 1996-2003/
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

What about the first version of the Ducati multi strada? Or the BMW r1200s. Then at least you keep the big twin thing going :D
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

You know it's important to give a bike a test ride, but that mcn review is utter crap, they don't even know which model they're talking about, shows an 06 at the top and an early model (different bike) at the bottom, typical mcn rubbish. the model we are on about here has proper top end go, something the firestorm definitely hasn't got, midrange is 1000cc good, basically it's a pretty good take on the perfect all rounder, not perfect, there's not a bike yet that is. Of course it's alien if you've only ridden a storm for years, it's fairly upright but sporty, the engines different, it's got 140 bhp where a firestorm has 100. It has character even though it's a four. I could go on, but get a decent ride if you want to be sure although if you bought one without riding it i'm pretty sure you'd be happy :thumbup:
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

this is your problem, no il4 will match the character of a twin, i'm sure the fazer will be quick enough but it'll be souless in comparison, i suppose you can't have everything on your list, you have to decide whats the least important trait, and if thats character then an il4 is your anwser.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

AMCQ46 wrote:What about the first version of the Ducati multi strada? Or the BMW r1200s. Then at least you keep the big twin thing going :D
I used to have a 1200s, another awesome bike, but underseat pipes and luggage don't go well together, pillion seat is just a small perch and not comfy, my daughter got me to pull over after doing about 20 miles along dual carriageway saying her back was getting really hot, it was the heat form the end of the exhaust can. might have been something to do with the full AC Schnitcher system on it though.
popkat

Post by popkat »

agentpineapple wrote:this is your problem, no il4 will match the character of a twin, i'm sure the fazer will be quick enough but it'll be souless in comparison, i suppose you can't have everything on your list, you have to decide whats the least important trait, and if thats character then an il4 is your anwser.
Sorry to say this but there is no area of a firestorm that is as good as an FZ1, I've had probably close to 90 bikes now and the FZ was one of the best, it's really not a bland engine.. my GSXR1000's were so powerfull and handled so well, my firestorm is pretty grunty and has a characterful engine, and can certainly handle when the right mods are done, the BMW1200s as mentioned has character and grunt the storm can only dream of as well as great handling, But an FZ1 is a laugh out loud bike if your out playing, it'll leave rubber on the road exiting corners and hoik the front wheel out of tighter turns. then the next day it'll comfortably cruise to where ever.

I'm sounding like a flippin Yamaha salesman now :lol: not intentional but they are an good bike.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KTM smt?
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

Just to show i'm not totally biased.

Honda CBF1000
Kawasaki Z1000SX
2000-2005 Yam Fazer1000
Triumph tiger 1050
Ducati multistrada
BMW R1200ST (mega fugly but good at the job)
Suzuki GSXR1000 (yes they can do it all too)
Kawasaki ZZR1400
Suzuki Hayabusa
HONDA Blackbird
KTM smt
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Faired Honda CB1300 ?
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

They may be old hat nowadays but i loved the blackbird for milage munching,i know it'll never be the same as the storm but tbh non ever will...i also liked the st1300 i had for a few weeks,they are alittle on the heavy side but they are very comfortable and has removable luggage which you just unclip and carry into the guesthouse...
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Keep the Storm and go get a Blackbird for the touring you will get a good one for £3000
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

what about a Honda CX500 :D
AMcQ