Engine Stall

General Bike chat
tractorbiker

Engine Stall

Post by tractorbiker »

I'm pretty sure I've seen a topic on here previously about the engine stalling, can anyone remember, or offer me words of comfort...!

I was "making progress" round the M25 yesterday morning; road was a bit wet. I rolled off the throttle as I was rapidly approaching three lanes of near-stationary traffic. All of a sudden the engine died, and locked up the back wheel at about 60mph 8O

As I slid between the two outside lanes of cars I was hoping the engine would burst back into life, but it just kept sliding...so I pulled in the clutch and managed to roll across to the hard shoulder, convinced the engine had had a major mechanical failure :cry:

But...first tentative stab of the starter and it fired back into life! :D

It's been fine since...I have convinced myself that it is a bit lumpy on the over-run anyway, and just died, and due to wet road there was not enough grip for the wheel to to turn the engine over. I was wondering if another possibility may be carb-icing in the damp -- does the VTR suffer from icing?

Dunno what I can take from the experience, other than every day is a bonus from here on in... :wink:

Sound familiar to anyone?
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

They don't suffer from carb icing and the stalling issue only happens at low speed and is usually caused by out of balance carbs and the idle being set too low.

Doesn't sound like either of them and I would get it checked out properly as it sounds serious to me and I can't recall a similar thread before. Sounds like it seized temporarily to me.
t00lkit

Stall

Post by t00lkit »

Tractor

Are you using standard cans or after market?

Using standard cans on the storm is renouned for stalling at low revs, summat to do with the air flow....

Used to happen to me until I put the scorpions on, not had it since.

Can't add anything more technical, I pay mr honda for that!

Best of luck

t00lkit
T00lkit
Red F2, Scorpion Race Cans, Nuvo Airflow Screen, GSG Moko Crash Protectors, Carbon Hugger by Del, Scottoiler.