Speedo Problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Keith

Speedo Problem

Post by Keith »

Recently I have been having problems with my speedo needle working normally, then dropping to 0mph and then flipping back up to the normal speed again. Is this a common problem and any ideas where I need to look?
Fireman on a Storm

Re: Speedo Problem

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Look under ther seat. There's a 3 wire plug that has a pink wire. In plug, clean and put back together
It's the plug from the sensor in the gear box that connects to the speedo!
Keith

Post by Keith »

Fireman on a Storm wrote:Look under ther seat. There's a 3 wire plug that has a pink wire. In plug, clean and put back together
It's the plug from the sensor in the gear box that connects to the speedo!
Great, I really hope it will be that simple. I will check it when I get home tonight and give it a good clean up. :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I believe it can also can be an early symptom that your reg/rec unit is failing, so check the charging circuit as well
AMcQ
Keith

Post by Keith »

AMCQ46 wrote:I believe it can also can be an early symptom that your reg/rec unit is failing, so check the charging circuit as well
I have recently checked the battery as my starter motor has also started to play up. After a long run then engine not running the battery was 13.1v and with it running it was 14.56 volt. Not sure what they are supposed to be but thought the readings were okay. (Later type R/R)

The speedo problem may be linked to the starter motor problem as they are both very intermittant. One time the starter really laboured, then the speedo fully reset its mileage and then everything went dead. Straight after that the bike started up perfectly. I love intermittent problems!
Firemans advice to clean up the connector has made me wonder if I should go over all the connectors to make sure they are all clean.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Also make sure your earth's are all good especially the R/R. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

And if that all fails then a sign the speedo sensor needs replacing. Goes in nr the rear CCT and plugs into the loom as already described.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Keith

Post by Keith »

It seems I may have sorted out the problem.
I left work today and jumped on the bike to go home. Well it totally refused to start just like it had a flat battery. So I checked all fuses and all block connectors (which were all nice and clean). I then noticed the positive cable onto the battery had worked itself loose. So after tightening it the bike started up straight away and I had no issues with the speedo at all on its 37mile trip back home. I am not sure if it was the battery or the fact I went through all the block connectors that helped to cure it. :)

thank you all so much for your help :thumbup: