France trip, REVIEW inc PICS

General Biker Banter
MacKrell17

Re: Help with planning France trip

Post by MacKrell17 »

Whoa... £350 on the motorail. That is pretty steep. I only knew about it because we met this chap who was riding his mint 916 back from st. Tropez. he did a similar trip every year. Having said that.
Calais to Nice is about 800 miles. That has to be 150 in juice if you take it easy. Only reckon on 200 Miles per day if you want to remain on speaking terms with the missus so 3 stop overs before you get to the coast. £350 doesn't look all that bad. I might give it a go if I ever get the bike on the road again. :thumbup:
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Ckennedy wrote:Just looking at laws for riding in France and it says you have to have reflective stickers on your helmet of a certain size. Is this true? going to make them look a muppett.
If your crash hat is fairly new you should find that it already complies with the French law. Any markings would be reflective. check it out in the dark with a torch if your unsure.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Ckennedy wrote:so don't bother with them then?
For £2.99, why wouldn't you?

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/reflective_h ... ers_silver
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Will i need baffles in my cans? Don't have any at the mo. Need to get the approved for road use sticker too. Anyone know where to get them?
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I put baffles in my cans when I go away on the bike. There's nothing better than booming exhausts on a short blast, but as I use an intercom, the baffles really help my ears from numbing up on longer trips.

Hey, if you PM me your address I will send this over to you... Image

Worth having a read through, in your lunch break or whatever. It covers all the current laws, recommended gear to take, routes etc.
Jamie :wave:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Right today I have been busy buying little bits and pieces to stop me getting big fines. So far, spare bulb kit, head light beam changing stickers, helmet stickers. Went to get a number plate with GB as I can not think of anywhere to put a sticker but they didn't have one. Will try again over the weekend or Monday. Getting there slowly
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Ckennedy wrote:Right today I have been busy buying little bits and pieces to stop me getting big fines. So far, spare bulb kit, head light beam changing stickers, helmet stickers. Went to get a number plate with GB as I can not think of anywhere to put a sticker but they didn't have one. Will try again over the weekend or Monday. Getting there slowly
You don't need beam changers on a bike. My GB sticker (on the TDM) is on the topbox and the VTR has a Euro No. plate. A friend was stopped on his Blade riding with us in May this year (we were waved through) and he got a fine for speeding but he didn't have a GB sticker and nothing was said. Neither did they ask for his breathalysers (the fine has been removed anyway).

Been going to France and Belgium for the last 12 years on both bikes and never been stopped or had a problem, so I wouldn't get too paranoid - just don't expect to get away with speeding because you are abroad.

The speed cameras are a lot smaller than ours and can be well hidden, but at the moment you won't get a fine transferred over here (this will change in a year or so) but there are lots more gendarmes with handhelds for on the spot fines.

In fact, I'm off to Compiegne on Friday for a few nights!

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Hey Chris, your RIDE: guide to France is on it's way to you :)

Brush up on your French insults and enjoy your trip!
Jamie :wave:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I got back on Monday. I saw one police speed trap in a village (but everyone flashes everyone so they know to slow down) and two police bikes ahead on the motorway. And that was it, which is usual. Was annoyed by having to leave ID or prepayment at LeClerc filling stations (as do all bikes and quads) so I'll boycott them next time.

Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Thanks for the heads up and the good news about it being a good time :thumbup: Really looking forward to my trip. Still gutted that I can not make the Wales trip though :(

Is it hard to find petrol stations over there? Have not looked a long our route to see where they are. Mainly worried about when we do the twisty parts in the south as I am sure along the main roads they will be easy to find.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Petrol isn't the same problem it used to be as most supermarkets have 24/7 pumps which take Visa Debit ok. Only a few years ago and they only took French cards. In villages etc though they can be few and far between, so keeping topped up (esp. with only a 16l tank) is essential. France is a big country so in many parts there can be miles between petrol stations so perhaps plan routes taking in a town every now and then to be on the afe side.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Chris, if you are worried about petrol,Take some small diameter hose wrapped up under the seat, and if you hit problems then you can siphon some out of another bike into a crisp packet (they are in litter bins or on the road side and are petrol proof!) and that will get you going again :D
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Chris, if you are worried about petrol,Take some small diameter hose wrapped up under the seat, and if you hit problems then you can siphon some out of another bike into a crisp packet (they are in litter bins or on the road side and are petrol proof!) and that will get you going again :D
That's something I never knew about a crisp packet :crazy: A good tip though about carrying some spare petrol pipe with you.

I guess you don't want an empty Hedgehog crisp packet, as your bike will most likely be slow then :thumbdown: .................................................... :lol:

Chris.
simon t

Post by simon t »

Gosh, where to start? As you may be aware we live down here in the sunny south of France. I'm obviously biased, but I reckon our location in the Baronnies is ideal biker country. Not crowded and a great variety of roads, including the Geant de Provence Mont Ventoux. (See captinoi666 post - his photos of Col de Perty were taken only 10km from here).The high Alps are great for scenery, but once you've done a dozen hairpins the novelty begins to pall. Mind you, Europe's highest col, La Bonette, is only a couple of hours from here. I wouldn't bother going all the way to the coast, most of it is just built-up. Save your miles for the good stuff.

Fuel may be a problem in the rural north but down here in the twisties you're never far from a petrol station.

Most of the stupid proposed legislation got dropped, so don't sweat over it - me and every other French biker don't bother. And of course most of us have had the bike de-restricted :twisted:

Don't take the tunnel it's sh1t. Relax over a fish and chip dinner on the ferry.

F1 hotels are cheapest, but not en-suite. If you want your own bog and shower try Ibis Budget (formerly Etap). There's usually a Courtpaille restaurant nearby, quick and cheapish.

Have fun.

ps, we're ex Leicester - and don't miss it one little bit!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I laughed at your comment about hairpins. I was in the Pyrenees last and this year and there are some roads where you just want a good, sweeping road as you feel dizzy and your sides ache from all the bends!