Feedback needed - please help !!!!

General Bike chat
yellafella

Feedback needed - please help !!!!

Post by yellafella »

Okay guys. I need feedback here please !
For all those who have had cct failure, can you describe the noise ? And for those that have'nt had them fail, what other unusual ticking noises have been heard ?
Am picking my ( apparently ok ? ) bike up later, and am frankly shitting it !
Apparently the mechanic took it on a 120 mph blast and it was ok ! One way to find out i guess, as long as he was willing to pay to rebuild the bloody engine !!!
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

When the CCt goes the noise is very obvious, especially when you backing off at 90 like mine did. :cry:
The storm motor is quite noisy as standard and there are noises from the clutch and quite alot of carb noise, you do tend to find that once the paranoia sets in you do exagerate any noise in your head. Simple answer is to get them changed regardless them you have confidence and can stop worrying.

I do remember you saying that the bike has done 16000-20000 miles(??) have you have the valve clearances done as they are due at the 16000, might just be that

hope this helps
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Cheers iggy ! Now i have that to worry bout too !!!! :cry:
Seriously though. The noise started all of a sudden. And like i mentioned before, unusually the bike started real easy that day ? Could have been the heat spose ?
Guess i am just going to have to check this out myself. Been getting too lazy lately ! Am competent, just tend to pay other people to do stuff nowadays !
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Just get em changed and have done with it as it's the only way you'll have any confidence in it.

Wether you go the standard route or the Ape's type is up to you.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

iggy1966 wrote:Just get em changed and have done with it as it's the only way you'll have any confidence in it.
I think Iggy is right there :!:
SEE MY REPLY in WORKSHOP under CCTs

Chris.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Cheers Chris. Think its time to get my hands mucky and rip in to it ! Am picking it up at 3:30 and am gonna take it for a local run and see what happens. :roll:
Max

Post by Max »

Okay guys. I need feedback here please !
For all those who have had cct failure, can you describe the noise ? And for those that have'nt had them fail, what other unusual ticking noises have been heard ?
My front one started making a horrid rattlely noise after 5500 miles from new. It was worse when cold and if you backed the throttle off, on the over run. It didnt actually fail but was working up to it. The noise was obviously different to any of the usual storm noises.
t00lkit

Noise

Post by t00lkit »

Max, can you desribe the noise you got after 5500m?

Mines like a bag of milk bottle tops being shaken.

Guy at the MOT centre is having a look, but reckons the motor sounds sweet at standstill.

t00lkit
T00lkit
Red F2, Scorpion Race Cans, Nuvo Airflow Screen, GSG Moko Crash Protectors, Carbon Hugger by Del, Scottoiler.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Tool Kit
The noise is most easily heard when slowing down using the engine, normally at lower revs (about 4k rpm down to 2k ish) especially if you are in a high gear, but thats not essential it can be heard in all gears.
The only way I can describe the sound is either a slapping or chuffing noise at about 1/2 second intervals (speed dependant) and it only lasts for as long as you pass through that specific rev range.
It can come and go as well. I had one tensioner which the spring was fine but it must have backed off and let the chain go slack, the next morning when restarting the bike the noise was gone. The first time this happened I just thought wow! what was that all about, then it started to get more frequent and I caught on to what was happening so I changed the bugger.
That kept me safe for about 8 K miles untill it happened again :evil: so I changed it again, after the third change of the same one the next time it happened I went APE :P
Pete.l
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Spill the beans Yellafella, how did you get on testing your bike that you were picking up yesterday at 3:30pm :?:
I take as we've not heard anything, nothing to bad has happened, well do hope that's the case :!:

Chris.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Okay, here goes !
Picked the bike up, no noise for a while, then very slowly picked up.
Pulled into a layby, took my helmet off and had a listen. :roll:
The sound is coming from the front, i can hear it best from the clock area ?
Took it home and went for a pint and a think ! Met a mate of mine and as soon as i told him the above he said ' tisnt your speedo cable is it ?' :idea:
sh1t i thought, maybe it s possible, or even the rev counter ?
Are both of them cable or electronic ?
I havent had a chance to look yet, been to the hospital again with the mrs, left her there for a few hours so shall investigate while i'm waiting for the taxi call !
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Sorry to sound like a stuck record Yella

But....... GET THEM CHANGED!!!!

Better to take the doubt away than have a bill for a new motor, I had no advanced warning they just went, took out the front head, barrel, con rod, piston etc etc, ended up in a very pertracted and long winded battle with the dealer and Honda.

I do hope that it's something daft, but I really would'nt take the chance.

Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, sorry mate.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

yellafella wrote:Okay, here goes !
Picked the bike up, no noise for a while, then very slowly picked up.
Pulled into a layby, took my helmet off and had a listen. :roll:
The sound is coming from the front, i can hear it best from the clock area ?
Took it home and went for a pint and a think ! Met a mate of mine and as soon as i told him the above he said ' tisnt your speedo cable is it ?' :idea:
sh1t i thought, maybe it s possible, or even the rev counter ?
Are both of them cable or electronic ?
I havent had a chance to look yet, been to the hospital again with the mrs, left her there for a few hours so shall investigate while i'm waiting for the taxi call !
I'm sorry to say but they're not cable :!:
bluesman

why?

Post by bluesman »

Just a sec - you all go about changing CCTs, but: Yellafellf, did you actually checked CCTs??? It takes average of 3 minutes for rought check (unscrew plug bolt, stick scredriver in, turn CCT rod, see if it turns back by spring), and hour or two to get CCTs out and check properly.
I mean: CCT in Honda's break in simple manner, or I misunderstood it all (I hav taken apart few CCTs out of interest): spring breaks down. So, either CCT broken or not. If not - noise was not critical valvetrain noise. Next step: change CCTs just in case - 52 GBP + 2 hours work (mostly spent to remove fuel tank and airbox).

Why don't you do it and get mind at peace?
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Okay, but when you talk about the plug bolt i guess you are talking abpot the plug in the end of the cct ?
and if i,m right there ? then you mean checking the return tension on the spring ?
And if im rught agaion then surely you would need to run the engine to see if ihad readjusted itself ?
Or am i talking crap again ?