Replace front footrest hangers?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Keith

Replace front footrest hangers?

Post by Keith »

Well I managed to buy the high level link pipes from Thumperslaw who was a good chap and brought them over to me so cheers for that mate :thumbup:

Now the problem I have is that when offering the pipes up to the bike I noticed there was nowhere for the link pipe brackets to fix to on my bike. Upon closer inspection I have now discovered that a previous owner has sawn off the brackets on the footrest hangers that the pipes normally fit on. :x

I also need to lower my footpegs as they are way too high for me due to my height so not sure if I can do a modification to the ones I have that will allow me to lower the pegs and also provide a place to attach the exhaust link pipes. If not then I will need to find a pair of replacement hangers to swop over.

As the hangers are on the end of the swingarm do I have to remove the swingarm pivot fully to remove these and is it a hard job or not?

Any ideas suggestions will be appreciated
Wicky

Re: Replace front footrest hangers?

Post by Wicky »

I dropped my left footpeg an inch by mounting a zx9 footpeg http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... eg#p257911

Though you'd struggle to do that and have the link pipe mounted at the same time, esp if the PO has sawn off the mounts

To get the mounts then you'd need unfettered front hangers and some adjustable Footpegs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 43bb224c6f

but beware of the quality that you get... http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/mo ... ook-29535/

and yes to remove and replace the hangers you'll need to remove the swing arm pivot. Not that hard to do.
Keith wrote:Well I managed to buy the high level link pipes from Thumperslaw who was a good chap and brought them over to me so cheers for that mate :thumbup:

Now the problem I have is that when offering the pipes up to the bike I noticed there was nowhere for the link pipe brackets to fix to on my bike. Upon closer inspection I have now discovered that a previous owner has sawn off the brackets on the footrest hangers that the pipes normally fit on. :x

I also need to lower my footpegs as they are way too high for me due to my height so not sure if I can do a modification to the ones I have that will allow me to lower the pegs and also provide a place to attach the exhaust link pipes. If not then I will need to find a pair of replacement hangers to swop over.

As the hangers are on the end of the swingarm do I have to remove the swingarm pivot fully to remove these and is it a hard job or not?

Any ideas suggestions will be appreciated
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Yes, you pull the swingarm bolt/axle out... Essentially splitting the bike in two halves, so you need to suspend it either with an Abba stand and a sling around the rear wheel/swing or something similar to hold it in place, otherwise things will move/bind and generally be a PITA... Other than that, it's not really hard...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
darkember

Post by darkember »

Have a 2nd bar of the same OD as the swing-arm bar so as you remove the main bar follow the other bar in after it from the other side. This will keep the whole rear end in place.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Actually, a very good idea... ;) Real wheel axle is the same OD, and could be used...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Tweety wrote:Actually, a very good idea... ;) Real wheel axle is the same OD, and could be used...
That is what I have used when swapping rearsets. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

I've removed my pivot with the bike on its side stand, just by using a bar of similar dia. I had to realign the Swingarm slightly on reassembly / I just used a trolley jack to take weight....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my fat fingers and thumbs....
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
Keith

Post by Keith »

I totally forgot about the idea of feeding in another bolt as I remove the first one. Thanks for that hint as it will make is so much easier. :D Right now I am trying to find some front hangers at a sensible price but so far can only find LH ones.

@Wicky Yes mate...reading your post about your footpeg is what actually made me realise what was missing from mine. I'm looking at the possibility of fitting pegs at that location as well as having the exhaust link pipes attached to that point too. Probably will still have to do some slight modifications but nothing I can't handle...hopefully :|
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Superhawk right side foot peg mount bracket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/99-Honda-VTR- ... 3f2686c19a

Firestorm nearside footpeg hanger

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 3a8268eea0

Won't be dirt cheap as it's a crash prone part
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Keith

Post by Keith »

Well I have managed to purchase a pair of front hangers and patiently waiting for them to arrive. Both from the bay but I didn't realise till later that one of them I bought was from someone on here. I could have tried for a discount! :roll: .

All this aggro just so that I can raise the exhausts up to melt my indicators. :D