CBR 1000 and R1

General Bike chat
EGG

CBR 1000 and R1

Post by EGG »

Had a go on both these tonight CBR 1000 and R1. Oh my god first the R1 what a bike so easy to ride only thing i found was there is not alot at first then it goes mental but rideable. Great brakes handles like it's on rails. After going round my local roundabouts twice first the right then the left knee(coming off the roundabout). Great i thought. Now lets have the CBR. Jesus It's better than the R1. Sat on it and felt at home. Right knee left knee and then just to piss my mate off who can't either lofted the front for good measure.
Both bikes are 100 years ahead of the storm and to be honest if i could afford a CBR i would have 1 today. Only thing storm has that they don't is engine braking and a wonderful sound.
Before you all start whinging at me i know they are new bikes but you can't stop progress.
Back on the storm left them both standing. In a straight line they could leave me with the gearing i am running 15/42. All the gear no idea springs to mind. 1 day will have to get a new bike as they will get quicker 1 day but untill then. They can smell my fumes.
Got no money so i will stay with the storm.
Better to burn out than just fade away!
Stormin Ben

Re: CBR 1000 and R1

Post by Stormin Ben »

EGG wrote:All the gear no idea springs to mind.
Amen to that mate! :lol:
And isn't it a lot more satisfying leaving them for dead on a 10 year old design than wasting all comers on the straight on a brand new 1000?
It certainly is for me 8)

Ben
EGG

Re: CBR 1000 and R1

Post by EGG »

Amen to that mate! :lol:
And isn't it a lot more satisfying leaving them for dead on a 10 year old design than wasting all comers on the straight on a brand new 1000?
It certainly is for me 8)

Ben[/quote]

Your right mate however it would take me about 2 days to be able to ride a CBR faster than my storm it's just so easy. It's a bloody great bike. A bit heavy and down on power compared to the other new thou's but feels so right straight away. Me want 1.
:D
brokenlegs

Post by brokenlegs »

Egg,

I agree with you matey. Rode my mates new cbr600rr and now i see why i stuggle on the bends when i'm riding with him, i have to push the front hard just to keep up.

We swapped bikes on the way back from the ride and after 2 mins or so i couldnt see him the handling on these new generation of supersports bike is phenominal.

I will still keep the storm regarless as i want to keep my licence and becuase on my last jap 4 stroke 2001 R1 i kept going 140+ everywhere because you can, atleast 140 on the storm feels like your doing silly numbers :D

If i was going to swap the storm it would be for a tuono or new ktm supermoto.

Mark.
bluesman

they are

Post by bluesman »

Here is my confession for you :D
CBRs, R1, GSXRs - they are good bikes - and IMHO CBR still is easiest to go fast on. And, I had a VERY short go (3 km) on GSXR. Yes, new one. That's bike that blows your lid off, it is unbeleivably powerful and fast.
But.
Do 3000 km in 6 days on any of these bikes and kiss goodbye to your wrists, back, ass, neck....what did I forgot?
Superbikes, that's it. Ferraris of bikes world. Sunday rockets, trackdays jewels etc. etc.

Storm just NOT a sportbike, it's just not, get over it :)

If I'd wanted a sportbike I'd have bought CBR, but I did not wanted it.
And same with my previous 600 - everybody was going on "why do you want Hornet and not CBR - you have saved amount good to buy CBR?" - here is why, when we went to France last year people on sports actually been extremely tired they on their bikes, but I jus had slightly numb ass and right wrist (on Hornet). And same for Storm - I never ever bought it a sportbike, and I liked that it got only part covered in plastic, otherwise I'd never have bought it. Even when I look at SP1/SP2 I am thinking "oh, gear-driven cams, that'll last forewer...need to get one, chop off all plastic, put Rentals on, twin ST-style headlight, bikini fairing - yep, might make good roadster with all this great handling and torque" :lol:

IMHO I think that best bike for your daily rides and weather n both Belgium and UK is VFR750, but I still saw a lots of people in UK going to work on GSXRs and R1 covered in 3 layers of Oxford luggage :) and not on VFRs.

Remember all these talks about people buying huge 4X4s to drive in city? :wink:

IMHO If you want a sportbike, buy a sportbike. If you want a middleweight sport-tourer, get bigger fuel tank and get VTR or buy VFR750. If you want a real tourer - buy Pan European, if you want a street bike - buy KTM Superduke 990. 8)
If you have loads of money - buy them all! :lol:

And if you want a proper track bike - get RC51 and buy HRC kit for it 8) or re-mortgage your house and buy Ducati 999 :lol:

That's it, I needed to get it off my chest :oops:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

The firestorm is just fun.............end of story, its good fun.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Sharpe1

Post by Sharpe1 »

nhr22259 wrote:The firestorm is just fun.............end of story, its good fun.
Well stated, straight to the point and correct!! 8)
Larry.

'99 YELLOW
A man goes to the Zoo, but when he arrives there's only a dog.

It was a Shitzu!
Robbe

Re: they are

Post by Robbe »

bluesman wrote:Here is my confession for you :D
CBRs, R1, GSXRs - they are good bikes - and IMHO CBR still is easiest to go fast on. And, I had a VERY short go (3 km) on GSXR. Yes, new one. That's bike that blows your lid off, it is unbeleivably powerful and fast.
But.
Do 3000 km in 6 days on any of these bikes and kiss goodbye to your wrists, back, ass, neck....what did I forgot?
Superbikes, that's it. Ferraris of bikes world. Sunday rockets, trackdays jewels etc. etc.
Have a look at Nick Sanders latest round the world challenge, 20,000 miles in 20 days and whats he riding, a Yamaha R1.
So i guess you can do long distances on them.

Robb
'91 NC30
EGG

Post by EGG »

Blusman wrote
That's it, I needed to get it off my chest :oops:[/quote]

it's got about 30% to do with the bike and 70% rider. I will out do most bikes on a storm new and old alike. Expensive or cheap.
However the new CBR is amazing.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

EGG wrote:Blusman wrote
That's it, I needed to get it off my chest :oops:
it's got about 30% to do with the bike and 70% rider. I will out do most bikes on a storm new and old alike. Expensive or cheap.
However the new CBR is amazing.[/quote]

You right - I always say that most importan part in motorcycle is sealing....between seat an handlebar :lol:
I wish I could say same as you about myself but I think I am average rider :cry: at least when in Belgium...thou even I managed to smoke loads of sprotbikes in France on my Hornet 600...
When we were in France last year we been once overtaken by guy on supermotard with about 250cc :oops: and once we watched in amazement when some guy on old BMW (R-something, but not new one) flew past guys pushing their Blackbirds hard - he used sticking out BWM engine heads as sliders, I guess left half of his engine on road :)
And - yes, CBR is amazing...will be great base for streetbike when I will find one cheap :wink: obviously with plastic shredded to bits...
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Have a look at Nick Sanders latest round the world challenge, 20,000 miles in 20 days and whats he riding, a Yamaha R1.
So i guess you can do long distances on them.

Robb
'91 NC30
Well, you can jump over Grand Canyon on bike if you make it your objective :)
Take just regular people. Typical thing (not all of them, but typical) you see for R1/CBR/GSXR/ZX riders (I see them a lot in France): they take peage all way to Grenoble or further, screaming down straight long lanes for 800 km, then they stay somewhere and do rideouts locally.
Places where I go to isn't higways. I just never take peage. You can ride long distance at high speeds on big roads on just about anything, but out of my regular 3500 km trips I taking only about 180 km of it by highways, rest done on incredibly twisty roads, we do not even take Napoleon's route (N85) to cross Alps last year we actually took small (1 lane) road that crossing on right side of Canyon Du Verdon, then crossing Alps at serious altitude (BTW - FZR1000 of my friend struggled there because of altitude - can't get why, as my Hornet seemed OK) and descending along line of ski lift down to skiing resort (it's closed on summer of course). I think I overdone it because on way back my UK friends gave up and took peage as their bikes been a bit heavy for that. One of reasons for Storm - you need that V-twin torque there with light handling (after my suspension upgrade my Storm as flickable as Hornet).

And speed there limited by your skill, not by roadsigns or police radars, because if you can go 120 kmph there - you are really good rider.
Every time it is breath taking views and having no straight roads that do it for me.... yep, I guess it is July if I start moaning about it :) can't wait again for my week in paradize :)
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Gee boys, I'm impressed with the size of your... ummm... posts in this thread...
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
bluesman

that's what happen

Post by bluesman »

this is what happens to me when I have to attend long and boring conference call at work :wink: I post long stories to board to stop myself from sleep
EGG

Post by EGG »

I liked the CBR so much i hoping to get 1 for a weekend from Whitehouse Honda in swanley.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Bluesmans Said
Every time it is breath taking views and having no straight roads that do it for me.... yep, I guess it is July if I start moaning about it can't wait again for my week in paradize
Have you got any piccies? Sounds fantastic. Post a few if you do, see if you could tempt a few of us over for a spin :wink: or make some of the armchair bikers jellous :D

Pete.l