The dreaded electrics!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
kturvy

The dreaded electrics!

Post by kturvy »

Need some advice!

All of my dash has died, but the bike fires up & runs. All warning lights, temp gauge & rev counter are dead. When I put the indicators on the warning light flashes on the dash & the main beam light warning light too but nothing else! Checked the fuses in the fuse box which are fine, but, cannot find any others unless they are hidden?

I had just washed the bike & everything was fine. I then put it in the garage & then nothing. I`m kind of hoping there is water somewhere which will dry out but its all still dead this morning! Any ideas?

I had messed with the horn switch that doesn`t work & I wondered if I had fused something?
Hairy biker

Re: The dreaded electrics!

Post by Hairy biker »

Sounds like a bad earth but if everything was ok before you washed it it could just be water getting where it shouldn't, what do you mean by 'messed with the horn switch'?if you've had that to bits and it was ok before that, I'd probably start there. If this is a common problem I'm sure someone will be along soon with the cure
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
kturvy

Post by kturvy »

When I bought the bike it had had the raised bar conversion on it & the horn didn't work. Looking at it the wires are too short to reach & I think they may have streteched or have dodgy connections? So, I took the switch apart & all seemed to be OK. I sprayed it with contact cleaner & bing! Dashboard dead except indicator warning & main beam warning lights so I may have to start there?

Are there only one set of fuses on the bike?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks like you will have to dig deeper to find the damaged wires .
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Only fuse box I know of is the one under the seat,I would start by tracing the wires back from the horn/handle bar wiring loom checking all connections including eath points along the way as lloydie says you'll have to dig deep I'm afraid,if the switch is soaked in contact cleaner I'd dry that out as well
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Get the fairing off and check all the connections behind the clocks its like a birds nest behind their .
I think that would be the best place to start
darkember

Post by darkember »

Looks very much like one of your large plastic connectors has part separated & yes, as mentioned by Lloydie, take the fairing off & check those connections, it seems like whoever did the bar riser job did not pay attention to wire routing especially since the horn was too short. I had to lengthen the horn wires when I did mine & reroute some of the switching gear.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The only other fuse is the the 30a one that sits by the starter relay. Do your headlights work at all?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
kturvy

Post by kturvy »

Right Guys, well we spent a few hours removing the fairing testing wires etc etc etc. Then my mate said "Are you sure the fuses are OK?" I said "Yes, I`m not stupid!" We took them out again, put them back in & all of a sudden the dash came alive! I said "must have been a dirty fuse?" Then we lost other electrics! Found out the fuse wasn`t blown but just faulty! sh1t F^CK BOLL"X !

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

Do I change the rectifier for a CBR125 one even if its OK? It isn`t a finned version
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

kturvy wrote:
Do I change the rectifier for a CBR125 one even if its OK? It isn`t a finned version

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
kturvy

Post by kturvy »

Wicky wrote:
kturvy wrote:

Is this a standard one or CBR125 one? Thanks
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

standard 8O
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

those fuses anre a pain in the butt when your trying to diagnose them in the dark!!!!!!!!! I thought my cooling fan Fuse was OK so took the rest of the bike apart on the roadside:( and it was a dodgy fuse
AMcQ