Front End Clunk when braking - need Input!

General Bike chat
L8RGYZ

Front End Clunk when braking - need Input!

Post by L8RGYZ »

Need your mechanically inclined input:
My VTR has developed a distinct & audible "clunk" sound & feel when coming to a moderately hard stop. Started since I put tires on a couple weeks ago.
It occurs right before I stop. I can feel & hear it as the fork reaches the end of its compression stroke & then again immediately as it rebounds back. I can also reproduce it by sitting on the bike, applying the front brake & pushing down on the bars really hard.
Rotors & pads look fine. I cleaned the pistons in the calipers, but not sure if I pushed them out far enough to do any good (I'm no expert mechanic, y'know!)
Any help sorting this appreciated. 8)
Thx,
Steve
It's about the road, not about the chrome.

'98 Super Hawk
TapeWorks Graphics, SS f&r Brakelines, Progrip 724, Galindo bar-ends, R1 CF Mirrors, Puig CF Hugger
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Sounds very much like your head bearings,

try grabbing the front forks and see if theres any lateral movement.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
JamesK

Post by JamesK »

it could also be the floating discs? since you cleaned the calipers up the disc could be more free to move around on the rotor.

I had HRC discs on my CBR and they had loads of free play which sounded like the head bearing/loose brake caliper when you rocked the bike with the front brake applied.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

You can check the head bearings by reaching down to the bottom yoke while you're sat on the bike
Put your finger between the bottom yoke and the frame and rock the bike on the brakes
If the bearings are the problem you'll feel the movement

You did definitely tighten up the spindle properly didn't you?
BEFORE tightening the pinch bolts?
Are the spacers on the right sides?
Calipers done up tightly?
Brake pads seated properly?

Hope this helps

Ben
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I'd check head bearing too. Quite simple to do (if you've got the requisite socket). If you've got a trolley jack, first put som wood under the sidestand so she's nearly upright, then jack it up using the trolley jack under the exhaust ipe on the right till the front wheel come up. Grab the front wheell and try pushing and pulling it. Any movement = head bearings.
L8RGYZ

Post by L8RGYZ »

Thanks lads...I'll give all that a going over.
It's about the road, not about the chrome.

'98 Super Hawk
TapeWorks Graphics, SS f&r Brakelines, Progrip 724, Galindo bar-ends, R1 CF Mirrors, Puig CF Hugger
trebs

Post by trebs »

had exactly the same on my bike. I was still under warranty so had it all checked out. First check and bearings looked fine, 2nd check (and preparation to drop out the front end) and the bearings were indeed a tad slack. The guys checked everything out and torqued it all up as Mr Honda intended.
Clunk gone.

Hope yours is as simple.
RQ

Post by RQ »

.............erm even easier is to hold the front brakes and rock it forwards and backwards!!!

To change, then take Kaz's advice, I've changed them on the Storm once, and a Blackbird once, and I'm NOT looking forward to doing that job ever again!
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !