Flat battery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rex

Flat battery

Post by rex »

I've owned a 98 Storm for 3 years now with not one problem, until now!
The battery won't hold a charge. Have used a volt meter and it is charging ok on the bike but if left for a couple of days is totally flat.
Have tried a new battery so its not that. Its almost as though somethings draining it. I have no alarm.

Anybody got any ideas?? :(
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

It could be your rectifier/regulator unit causing the problem ( if the regulator section goes it can cook a battery through over charging ).

If you have access to a multimeter then check the voltage at the battery at idle and when revving the bike. It should not rise above 15v. If it does then the voltage regulator has failed open circuit. Thing is though, electronics being what they are it is possible that you may only get a problem with the unit when you are riding the bike due to heat build up in the unit and when it cools down again it may test ok. Therefore it might be worth taking the meter out on a run with you and pulling over after a good thrash and testing the voltage at the road side while the unit is still warm.

Al.
rex

Post by rex »

Cheers matey!!

Was putting over 16v back in at tickover!
Need to source a 2nd hand unit, but at least I know whats wrong with it now.

rex