Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by agentpineapple »

cheers mick
i gotta make a start on the spondon framed bike next......... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fitted Brisk spark plugs, and used Benny's patent airscrew adjuster- he gave it to me ages ago, but I haven't needed it up to now, but I need alrger mains and they're still in the post, so i thought I'd richen it up a nadge on the screws for now, rather than leaving it running lean.
A pair of 190 jets on their way, might need richer still, but one step at a time.

Also loosened off all the bobbins on the Braking Wave front discs.
All Balls taper roller head bearings have arrived so i ordered the upper and lower fork bushes and some fork oil.
That's next week's job planned!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
coinneach

Post by coinneach »

Mot'd yesterday 2 advisories so happy about that,club run today 250 miles on trip meter tho everyone else did 170
seems ill have to look at the gearing and possibly a healer
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:Fitted Brisk spark plugs, and used Benny's patent airscrew adjuster- he gave it to me ages ago, but I haven't needed it up to now, but I need alrger mains and they're still in the post, so i thought I'd richen it up a nadge on the screws for now, rather than leaving it running lean.
A pair of 190 jets on their way, might need richer still, but one step at a time.
tony i ended up with .50 pilots, the original needles jacked up about 1mm and 210/215 mains - with the bmc race filter.
not a great deal of difference in fuel economy tbh. still does about 120 to the light unless i spank it hard, then its terrible lol, lowest was 59 miles! 8O

tonight i took the sp for a spin with a few compatriots...
turned out a nice evening tbh, after a damp start.

then i noticed this 8O

ok, no biggy, ive got a few spares in the garage.....
ok, maybe not that one.....

or that one! 8O

this one will do nicely til payday i think :)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

benny hedges wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Fitted Brisk spark plugs, and used Benny's patent airscrew adjuster- he gave it to me ages ago, but I haven't needed it up to now, but I need alrger mains and they're still in the post, so i thought I'd richen it up a nadge on the screws for now, rather than leaving it running lean.
tony i ended up with .50 pilots, the original needles jacked up about 1mm and 210/215 mains - with the bmc race filter.
not a great deal of difference in fuel economy tbh. still does about 120 to the light unless i spank it hard, then its terrible lol, lowest was 59 miles! 8O

I was using Keihin sizes in the comment above, I realised after Carl asked which ones I was using that I had been using some Dynojet jets, that a Dyno operator had used, but switching from one size to another when setting up on the dyno on that occasion didn't seem very logical- a bigger jet made it run leaner on one occasion- and it was only after Carl's comment that I sussed what was going on.

So back to some baseline settings, then one step at a time to get it sorted again.
50 pilots are in already, Factory Pro needles on fourth from the top.

Having said that it's not running badly atm, so it's clearly not far off.
I'll have it sorted for the Dales weekend.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

tony.mon wrote:
benny hedges wrote:

I was using Keihin sizes in the comment above, I realised after Carl asked which ones I was using that I had been using some Dynojet jets, that a Dyno operator had used, but switching from one size to another when setting up on the dyno on that occasion didn't seem very logical- a bigger jet made it run leaner on one occasion- and it was only after Carl's comment that I sussed what was going on.

So back to some baseline settings, then one step at a time to get it sorted again.

Tony. Are you on the 4th clip on both needles? What are your thoughts on setting one clip up on rear needle? Or a shim on rear? Just playing with it myself- recent setting (today) was 5th clip front & 5th clip plus shim rear (factory pro) - ran poorly mid range so think its too rich. Carbs off again! Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

0.5mm or 20though higher the rear should be. If you measure the standard needles you will notice one is slightly shorter than the other and have different part numbers.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Pu a top coat on my Dr Honda copies I have been working on. :biggrin

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28350

Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

cybercarl wrote:0.5mm or 20though higher the rear should be. If you measure the standard needles you will notice one is slightly shorter than the other and have different part numbers.

Cheers Carl. What inside diameter washers do you use? Looking at 2mm or 3mm? I should have measured when I had the carbs off on Sat night. I used a spring clip that i flattened-not ideal for the job! Plenty of proper washers on ebay just want to get the right size. Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I just went down the local hardware store and bought the smallest washers I could find. Inside diameter is about 2mm. Not much bigger than the needles.

7057vtr

Post by 7057vtr »

Passed mot and re-routed my pipes for Scott-oiler well pleased.
coinneach

Post by coinneach »

Took an exploratory look into as why it was running poorly on sunday run,seemed slightly down on power,harsh on acceleration engine note noisier
so took a read through forum last night for worst case scenarios
first stop front bank trying to size up socket to fit plug,17mm nah, thought it was too big and spinning round plug turns our spark plug loose and had backed out,cleaned and refitted will try it at weekend after stopper mod, carb balance and tps checks are carried out.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Griff1977 wrote:

Tony. Are you on the 4th clip on both needles? What are your thoughts on setting one clip up on rear needle? Or a shim on rear? Just playing with it myself- recent setting (today) was 5th clip front & 5th clip plus shim rear (factory pro) - ran poorly mid range so think its too rich. Carbs off again! Griff.
Both on the same clip.
I'm not sure that the rear needs to be much richer, this was something that needed to be done on aircooled lumps as the rear cylinder ran hotter than the front- the front one got all the cool air, the rear one was not only shielded by the front one but any air that got to the rear one was already warmed. But nowadays, with water cooling, and oil cooling, and with the 4 row oil cooler on mine, i don't think that there will be much temp difference between the two. So I'd be tempted to go with just one size main jet richer, and maybe a quarter turn difference on the air/fuel screw, but that's it.

If you richen everything it will be too rich on the rear.

I'm planning to get a socket for a wideband lambda sensor boss welded onto each downpipe, and a cheap gauge so that I can measure each cylinder and carb independently.
Still looking at costs, but it shouldn't be more than £80 for the project, although chance are that the gauges won't be waterproof.

Might not need a gauge, as any dyno should just be able to plug and play.

I like a little game, me.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Because I woke up early and had 15 minutes before leaving for work I put the stickers on the VTR. That's basically it, apart from riding the butt off the hornet on the way to work :lol: will put the pictures up later when I get home. As I'll need my brothers phone. My phone camera is fecked!
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

mot passed with no advisories, even tho it has race cans..... :wink:
insurance is sorted, just got to tax it tomorrow, went with swintons in the end, the only downside is they won't email ant temp docs so i can tax it, i have to go to my nearest swintons branch to collect it...... :roll:
or wait 3 to 5 days for it to arrive in the post, if i didn't have any other form of transport, i'd be buggered.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!