Which tyres do you recommend??

General Bike chat
shanet88

Which tyres do you recommend??

Post by shanet88 »

I have a w reg storm and currently have metzeler sportec m1 tyres on my storm which came with on it when I brought it. They are both due for new ones in the next month. Just wondering if any of you out there can recommend any decent tyres. These seem very good can get some nice lean angle on them without no sketchy moments. I have been looking at the Bridgestone battlax bt 16 pros. Which ones do you find work the best for the bike??
lloydie

Re: Which tyres do you recommend??

Post by lloydie »

New ones .
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i've just put a brand new pair of m1's on my bike, new/old stock....i got the pair for £105 fitted.
ok so their not the latest tech, but i couldn't turn them down at that price and after a interweb search, i found that they're a well regarded road tyre....
it all depends if you want an all round tyre....pilot road 3's
or a super sticky tyre
or a touring tyre
do you ride in the rain? or are you a fair weather rider?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
seb421

Post by seb421 »

shanet88 wrote:I have a w reg storm and currently have metzeler sportec m1 tyres on my storm which came with on it when I brought it. They are both due for new ones in the next month. Just wondering if any of you out there can recommend any decent tyres. These seem very good can get some nice lean angle on them without no sketchy moments. I have been looking at the Bridgestone battlax bt 16 pros. Which ones do you find work the best for the bike??
have a read through this popular tyre thread

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24827

:thumbup:
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

There are many out there these days, quality ones too which have a multitude of different purposes

However I am led to believe metzeler race techs are sh1t in the wet along with super corsas etc
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks Seb saves me searching for that link. :wink: :lol:

I currently run PR3's Superb so far. If I was going for Bridgestones then it would be the BT023 like I run on my Fazer which are also superb tyres.

But any new tryre with plenty of tread are going to be good and it's like BSM said it depends on the conditions you want to use them in and how fast a wear rate your willing to accept. Tyres can wear out pretty quick with the torque on these bikes.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Im on my second set of rosso corsa's excellent fast road/track day tires.

One of last years track days was a wash out and they performed well in the wet aswell. But I avoid getting the bike out in the wet if i can help it, and i usually can.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

don't even think of racetecs if you ride thru winter, you'll never get enough heat in them. tbh i'd never use them on the road, you'd have to ride like a lunatic to get them up to tempreture.
don't discount maxxis sport tyres they've come a long way, a friend of mine uses them on his 175bhp zx10r, he's a very good rider, and he rates them...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Is it maxxis that do the one with a weird diamond tread on, maybe a sportmax?

My friend had one of them slip out on his 06 zx6r at about 80 on extra grip tarmac and said he wouldn't ever trust one again, not surprised after he ended up air lifted with a broken femur lol
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

callam_nffc wrote:Is it maxxis that do the one with a weird diamond tread on, maybe a sportmax?

My friend had one of them slip out on his 06 zx6r at about 80 on extra grip tarmac and said he wouldn't ever trust one again, not surprised after he ended up air lifted with a broken femur lol
when was that?
my mate runs the sportsmax iirc, as long as you remember to ride to the tyre. a maxxis is never going to be as good as a new metzeler/bridgestone/michelin and so on. but they're not as bad as people say they are. as riders it easy for us to blame the tyres, when theres more chance of an accident being rider error.... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I had a pair of maxxis diamonds on mine before I noticed they needed changing due to a split appearing which was a fault with the tyre rather than someone cutting it 8O Before this developed they were an OK tyre. Nothing I would have boasted about though. I did not like the handling on wet roads, seemed far to slippy as if they were slick racing tyres. In the dry again they were OK but took a while to warm up, even on a warm day giving them a bit of grief around bends. After 40mins they were fine but it was waiting that long before I knew I could really ride them. I think the best tyres I have used were conti road attack 2 on my old sv650. They were fantastic. Grippy in all weather conditions, warmed up quickly and gave me a lot of confidence. Tyre wear was minimal. Did 1000miles on them and they still looked nearly new. Used to do a lot of commuting on the motorway on it and they did not square off the tyre. I would certainly buy a pair for the storm when I need to change my current pilot roads. Pilot roads are a good tyre. More for the long distance though I suspect as they are more of a touring shape than a sport tyre.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

A lot depends on what you intend doing with them, if it's just for road use and fast rides out at weekends etc I'd go for Dunlop Sportsmart
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu/dunlop_e ... tSmart.jsp :thumbup:

What ever you do don't skimp on tyres that's all you've got between you and the floor.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Virt

Post by Virt »

Haven't used them on a storm, obviously, but I currently use Pirelli Diablo's and the grip they provide is incredible. They take about 20 minutes to warm up but they provide so much grip even before the 20 minute mark. I also love them in the wet as I don't notice any difference. I've done just under 3k miles so far and they still have tonnes of tread and handle beautifully
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Was about two years ago marty

I think I'm going for 2cts next as I know about 4 different people who have used them and loved them, a couple of people I know now use racetechs but I need somethin that is ok for having the Mrs on too

I think a semi-race tire would only last me like 1000 miles with quick riding two-up lol

I only ever used to get circa 3000-3500 miles at best out of a rear on my thundercat so god knows what this storm will be eating tires in, about 2500 out of a decent sports tire I hope
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Virt you need to man up, I had killed my diablos in just over 3k on my thundercat lol