Forking Springs

General Bike chat
Anonymous

Forking Springs

Post by Anonymous »

:?: I have just ordered some upgrade fork springs - any suggestions of what weight of oil to use - dealer reckons 10.... I am lead to believe the standard Honda oil is 5....
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I got my springs replaced with Ohlins single rate springs earlier this year. The shop used the Honda spec oil weight and they work a treat.

Check out the folloing site for details of how the different weights/air gaps affect things:-

http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/

Al.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have ordered the Ohlins ones as well - I am getting them from TTS Performance (I have got a few goodies from them previously) and they are going to ask Ohlins - but it's always good to get other opinions too.. Maybe the standard oil will be fine..
Lucazade

Post by Lucazade »

Roger @ Revolution UK recommended 7.5W, but I'm not sure how easy it is to source.

You can make it up by mixing equal quantities of 10W and 5W
-- Luca.
----------------------
Second-hand bike parts:
http://www.aboutbikes.co.uk
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Speedy

I think it's the other way round (Honda use 10wt). Roger said 5wt is too thin for the VTR and as Luca has said, go for 7.5wt. The key thing to set is the air gap, very important. :whatever

Mine currently have 5wt with 130mm air gap, and they're waay too harsh. Tomorrow morning I'm going up to Revolution and they're setting them up along with 7.5wt oil and 140-150mm air gap. Standard air gap is 150, your choice what you set it to but don't go below 140mm.

Also if the springs are longer than standard you will need to cut the spacer down too. If in doubt get in touch with Roger, but not between 10am and midday tomorrow as that's when my forks are getting done, and he'll probably charge me by the hour. :biggrin
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
WayneM

lol

Post by WayneM »

Jeez - Speedy you spend more on your bike then I do!!! :lol: