wheelie help...once again...

General Bike chat
smokin joes

gear changes on one wheel

Post by smokin joes »

Hi,

It was one of those "just got it right" moments, It did lift rather high initially, normally I will lift it a bit on the throttle once the wheel is airborne, just to get her to the balance point, on this occasion it hit it almost instantly, (I did gas it a bit hard because these lads were watching and I did not want to look a pratt and do a tiny little "skip")

It stayed pretty well vertical with no addition of throttle, so I kicked it into third and held the throttle position, (about 6k I guess) As it was staying up on balance rather than power I decided to try fourth, it did drop a bit but a TINY bit od gas pulled it back, to be fair it was dropping as I hit fifth, but as it was so high it took ages to come down.

I was worried that it would start getting oil starvation after so long but ti was ok.

I have tried to do it since but cant sem to get the "sweet spot" again, big handfulls of gas plus a little back brake does seem to be the way to go for extra long, (and slower) wheelies.

I hate it when it bounces off the rev limiter, cos you know the fun is but over then, and I wont try a gearchange on the limiter, it would definatley spit me off big time.

Hmm its dry outside, I feel a practice session coming on.

Geoff M

MONO MONO MONO MONO MONO MONO MONO MONO MONO MONO MONO
Sex is like air. It only becomes really important when you aren't getting any.
welshy

Post by welshy »

Smokin J's.

You show off you! 8)

I think next time it's at the BP I will get it into 3rd straight away. Not wait till I am runnin out of revs in 2nd. The only time I got it into 3rd early the revs hovered around the 6k mark like you said and it just went on and on and on. I was looking at a quick shifter to make changes easier on the back wheel. Had any use with these?

11am on a Monday and your going out for a practice! Doesn't anybody on here work???

Have fun, be safe, life begins at 45°!
Welshy :-)
Bikeless :-(
BP team

Post by BP team »

hi Geoff and welshy, and others!
I'm happy to see that this subject isn't dead. as for me things are not very good since i binned my bike (not sure of this expression) in a R Bout as you can see in the new subject i posted. so i won't ride for 2 weeks the best. i think that putting down in fith is quite dangerous, i hope geoff that you master your subject... i prefer stay in second and have to wait mastering the perfect balance before doing 1Km. but it must be impressive. i ever put down in 3rd just before the red... or ever done 2-3-4, it's to fast for me. i have (euh no i had since i have no more bike...) some difficulties to find and stay at the balance point. but it'll come with practice i hope.
Welshy, when i told numeric i think it could be translated in digital. my cam isn't digital so i can't put my vids on the web without my own pc and a captur card...
But i've to repair my bike before buying one...
See you and be carreful!
Oliv'
stu9000

wheeee heeeeeeee

Post by stu9000 »

Posted a v similar request for info and got directed here.

Nice clear description Smokin Joe.

Im off to try it out.
red is the fastest colour;)
stu9000

manic laughter

Post by stu9000 »

He he he....

should just about have this sussed for the trip to Ireland.

Sitting back on the bike seat a bit helps it to come up.

Still working out the "sweet spot".

Someone suggested wheelie school, which has the advantage of it being someone elses bike with cut out attached (although you can buy cut outs for own bike now).

Which is harder wheely or knee down?

I find that the bike turns better sitting up a bit with the front turned into corner just a tad.

So,,, perhaps still being a bit wusy, but still getting round those corners ok.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Thanks for all the tips guys! I read through every single post on this thread the night before last & en route to work yesterday arv did my very first (deliberate) wheelie! Three cheers for me! Have done power wheelies when taking off at lights next to morons, etc (why do they insist on thinking hotted up hyundai's will beat sports bikes), but never been brave enough to pull'er up on purpose. Did the 4,500-5,000 rev thing, held her there & then used the throttle as recommended earlier. Warm fuzzy lasted my whole shift 8) . What a buzz! Plan on getting very used to the feeling over the next few weeks :wink: .

Can't say I'm in a desperate hurry to connect my knee with the bitumen, though... I've got wear to the very edges of both tyres, so that's good enough for me!

Thanks again fellas. You've made my week :D .
L8RGYZ

Post by L8RGYZ »

Cool deal, vtrgirl!
You kids have a blast w/ those wheelies. 8) I'm too old to start learning to do that high wheel $#~* tho'. 8O I know a lot of good riders who've crashed doin' that stuff. So that's probably in your future; just be aware, there's usually a price for the thrill. Eyes wide open.
It's about the road, not about the chrome.

'98 Super Hawk
TapeWorks Graphics, SS f&r Brakelines, Progrip 724, Galindo bar-ends, R1 CF Mirrors, Puig CF Hugger
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

L8RGYZ wrote:I know a lot of good riders who've crashed doin' that stuff. So that's probably in your future
Oh, go buy a trike... :wink: Just kidding. We need a few token responsible people on VTRs, I guess... :roll:
trebs

Post by trebs »

All my mono stuff has been accidental, mostly roll-on stuff from the lights. I'm not too keen on doing them either, not on the VTR anyway.

Now, the NS400.. that's a different matter ! :D Mmmmm , nice play thing.
d&s

Post by d&s »

:twisted: Weighing in at approx 75kg(165lb)..yeh, Im old, I have found that a full tank of fuel just about perfectly balances my storm. Try playing with your tank levels (ie.. 1 lt = @1 kg)(2.2lb) as it really does play a big patr of the whole balance thingy. 8)
Submariners go down for a living..!!

dark&stormy
(the bike stupid)
stu9000

Post by stu9000 »

VTRgirl wrote:
L8RGYZ wrote:I know a lot of good riders who've crashed doin' that stuff. So that's probably in your future
Oh, go buy a trike... :wink: Just kidding. We need a few token responsible people on VTRs, I guess... :roll:
This is how bike conversations go between me and my bro. One min were boasting about the fried rubber and superb corners, then were sorta muttering about how we should really try to keep the odds on side.

Bit silly really. But i find it too easy for my commute to get faster and faster and faster and faster. Occasionally i try to just trundle home but in this weather its just too much fun. Gotta watch out for those cars pulling out tho...

Stu
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

stu9000 wrote:...Gotta watch out for those cars pulling out tho...
Precisely. And if you do watch out for those, you'll be right. Had it up to you know where with friends & colleagues (okay, mainly surgeons, apart from the few who want to hop on the back... ) telling me "that could have been you". Not saying I'm invincible, but most bike accidents where the car is "legally" in the wrong, happen because they don't see us. Time to face reality & accept the responsibility for seeing them, regardless of who has right of way.

No use lying in the gutter saying "but he cut me off"... Expect it :!:
(or buy a Goldwing...)
vtr vicki

Post by vtr vicki »

http://www.jimmyfireblade.co.uk
Going on wheelie day in July with Jimmy Fireblade, get to trash his bike when I fall off :lol: :lol: anybody considering a wheelie day should contact Jimmy he's a top bloke with the patience of a saint.
Poor sod will have to be patient to teach me something :wink:
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

wanna pay for me???
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!