Damn! I crashed...

General Bike chat
L8RGYZ

Damn! I crashed...

Post by L8RGYZ »

Friday: the new Dunlop 208ZRs arrived, set up install with a buddy for Tuesday nite.
Saturday: got a couple hours, decided to burn up the remaining tread on the old tires. Bad idea.
A touch too much speed, a 100 degree right-hander and an 80 ft. strip of gravel & sand that's three feet wide on the outer edge of the apex and suddenly I've got 2 seconds to figure out how to make this turn come out right.
In hindsight, I must have target fixated on the crap in the road; I don't remember looking thru the turn, as usual. So I'm in the gravel, laying off the brakes, when I realize this ain't gonna work. I'm headed straight for the ditch. I brake, but I know I'm goin' in, it's pretty much over. The rear of the bike pivots left around the steeringhead axis & highside me off into the ditch on my back. Bike ended up behind me in the ditch pointed in the opposite direction.
I'm lucky or have a top-notch guardian angel. Couple bruises, some strained neck muscles: geez, I think I'm OK! Bike: sandwich-sized dent in the left side of the tank ($#*%!), upper fairing bracket bent, left rear fairing scratched (did I mention, $#*%!) Coulda been worse. Still, I thought I was smarter & better than this. I guess you dance with the bear, you're gonna get clawed sometimes.
It's about the road, not about the chrome.

'98 Super Hawk
TapeWorks Graphics, SS f&r Brakelines, Progrip 724, Galindo bar-ends, R1 CF Mirrors, Puig CF Hugger
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

gutted for you mate its a horrible feeling isnt it just when your happy your ok your gutted cos your baby is bent :cry:
The voices made me do it
L8RGYZ

Post by L8RGYZ »

Truely a pain of the heart.
Oh, reminds me, made another mistake that day. Got home & told my wife I crashed "my baby". Jealous she is. Two crashes in one day is too many!

'98 Super Hawk
TapeWorks Graphics, SS f&r Brakelines, Progrip 724, Galindo bar-ends, R1 CF Mirrors, Puig CF Hugger
Badger

Post by Badger »

Glad your ok, but look on the bright side, my mates next door buddy went out on his blade yesterday afternoon, but he aint coming home anymore.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

sorry to hear that badger! thats never nice to hear :-(

To be honest tho it sounds like you got off quite likelly, ditchs tend to kill bikes pretty well¬!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
stu9000

whew....

Post by stu9000 »

"...sandwich-sized dent in the left side of the tank ($#*%!), upper fairing bracket bent, left rear fairing scratched (did I mention, $#*%!)..."

Comiserations, its never nice picking up your bike and having smasked little bits of plastic tinkle out. But no bent forks, no new exhausts needed etc etc etc. You must have done something rite.
red is the fastest colour;)
L8RGYZ

Post by L8RGYZ »

Yeah, Badger, that's bad stuff. This is some serious business we're in. Best to never forget it.

So right stu, gotta be thankful...most highsides don't come out this well!

Been tryin' to get my head around this crash. I'm not gonna start riding like a woosie. Too boring. Looking back tho', I'm gonna dial it back a touch more when I see patchy pavement on a strange road in the future. Gotta learn something from this.

Ride hard, ride smart!

'98 Super Hawk