bigger tank

General Biker Banter
7057vtr

bigger tank

Post by 7057vtr »

Hi does anybody know if you can fit any other tank on to a 98 vtr to give better miles on a journey.
alexmac

Re: bigger tank

Post by alexmac »

HI,i think some guy in the state's has, he used VFR 750 or 800 not to sure which one
he posted , on the Superhawk Forum.
all the best. alexmac
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

vfr tank looks bulbous and ungainly imho, you can try and find a late model 2001 onwards tank that will give you 19ltrs, but there hard to find and not cheap, the third option would be to get a spare 16ltr tank, you can get them for £20/30 take it to a bodyshop, ask them to cut the bottom 3inchs or so off and weld it to the bottom of your existing tank, just a rough discription if you get my drift. theres a picture on google somewhere i'll try and find it....
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Or get a petrol tanker and replenish while on the move. :lol: :lol:

I agree with BSM that the VFR800 tanks look a bit strange. I don't think it would be so bad if some panels where made to fill the gaps created towards the rear of the frame near the seat. I would either hold out for a 19L or cut and splice a 16L to make it larger.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25988

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:Or get a petrol tanker and replenish while on the move. :lol: :lol:

What if you want to go more than 80 miles though? :( !!

Splicing a tank is the cheapest way to go really, and the most likely of happening. 19L tanks are rare and expensive, most people don't remove them from the later model bikes as that's why they got the later model in the first place
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

19L tank from later model - or 25L Endurance Mod

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... lit=tanker

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

What if you want to go more than 80 miles though
That's why you have the petrol tanker. When you get low on juice, throw the tanker a line and they can attach the refuelling hose to it for you to pull back across and fill the tank. :roll:

If they can do it at Sea I'm sure it can be done on the roads.

:lol: :lol:

Virt

Post by Virt »

No, you misunderstood.. Riding in a 'spirited' fashion will get you 80 miles with the tanker :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: It certainly would with mine :roll: well, I'm hoping I get a bit more now before the light starts flashing. I was getting just over 90's until fully empty :eek2

Virt

Post by Virt »

Don't know how you can go through fuel so fast. I haven't refilled mine since I got it over a month ago. :roll: :lol:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Virt wrote:
cybercarl wrote:Or get a petrol tanker and replenish while on the move. :lol: :lol:

What if you want to go more than 80 miles though? :( !!

Splicing a tank is the cheapest way to go really, and the most likely of happening. 19L tanks are rare and expensive, most people don't remove them from the later model bikes as that's why they got the later model in the first place
Who would splice a tank though? Thought of this a few times, though it isn't really an issue for me now. I did fit a VFR 24l tank and it looked bloody awful and way too cumbersome :(
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!