Fork leg corrosion.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Nick

Fork leg corrosion.

Post by Nick »

Hi all.

Just bought a '98 Firestorm with quite a lot of corrosion on the fork legs. Anyone got any tips on getting rid of it and restoring the original finish?

Same story on the rest of the exposed alloy parts really, looks like the previous owner had a dislike of cleaning.

Advice/tips greatly received.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Yea, my 97 storm had badly chipped lower fork legs. Some people polish them, some people have had them re-laquered ( chipps off again ), some people have used smooth hammerite or you could have them powder coated ( forks need to be stripped down).

I just cleaned them up the best I could and just kept the corrosion to a minimum. After all it's just cosmetic so I'd say save your cash and get some nice new fork springs as they could probably be doing with some TLC by now.

Al.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the info.

My previous bike was an '85 GSXR750 so the suspension on the 'storm feels like it's from a different planet anyway. My overall feeling on the suspension is that the back seems quite hard with very little sag. The front feels OK so far, no bottoming out or undue squidginess and it feels pretty planted when it's being pushed hard through corners. Perhaps the previous owner had already changed the springs.

Is there any recommendation on springs if I decide to change them?
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

My preference is for single rate springs, either Ohlins or Racetech.

Racetech have a good on-line spring rate selector page one their site wich will give you a guide of what settings to use when rebuilding your forks.

The other thing worth considering is a prefessional re-spring & re-valve from RevolutionUK ( £200 VTR special price )

The spring rate on the rear shock is too stiff for the damper. Max pre-load for normal riding should be at the second lowest setting.

If your forks are OK then it might be worth considering a replacement rear shock.