chain lube

General Bike chat
woaty

chain lube

Post by woaty »

hi guys ? wax or oil/ ive used wax 4 years but lately notice chain starting to rust, never used oil because of the mess any1 no of a good 1 thx :eek2
lloydie

Re: chain lube

Post by lloydie »

Old engine oil mixed in with grease for me and I have white wheels :-)
Never made a mess if you don't over oil it .
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Scottoil........Out of a Scottoiler !!

Will pay for itself in the first year.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

+1 :thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

+2
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Old engine oil out of a Loobman

http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/

Brilliant idea and way cheaper that the scottoiler
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's a neat one Al So it doesn't gravity feed then, and has a button to push when you feel the chain needs lubing up a bit. I think I might have to buy one of them. Getting fed up with jacking the bike up or borrowing someone to tip it over on the sidestand just to lube the chain.

And old engine oil will work out cheaper than Muc Off chain lube which I currently use.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
macdee

Post by macdee »

Old engine oil out of a Loobman

hi amcq do you run one of these oilers at the minute ,how does it work would you rate them better than the scottoiler :)
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I've had both - looberman lasted 5 miles till the oil feeder failed & so junked it immediately.

ScottOiler better quality fittings and ease of use - top up with oil and forget about it for 500 miles while it does its job. Got mine of fleabay second-hand for about £30 inc oil and so far so good after 2 years.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I had a Tutoro lube, Ride mag winner etc etc. Rubbish - the dropper arm was hard to keep positioned and it chewed 'em up and I had trouble priming it. Great idea in principle, it or more likely me failed in practice!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

macdee wrote:Old engine oil out of a Loobman

hi amcq do you run one of these oilers at the minute ,how does it work would you rate them better than the scottoiler :)
never had a scotoiler, but never keen on their proce or the single sided feed [there is o-rings on both sides], and seen lots of bikes with oil all over the side of the wheel, so owners not to good as setting the flow rate.

Loobman has been on my bike for a year and I rate the concept highly as the double sided feeder head which uses the ends of cable ties as the consumable contact element is a great idea and puts oil just where you want it and you can decide how much oil you need depending on the conditions.

it is a gravity feed system but is triggered by pressing a button which drops a metered amount of oil from the main reservoir to the feed pipe. on wet trips you can give it 2 shots

the down sides are only 2 in my opinion and the 2nd might be common with the scotoiler;
1) you have to remember to press the button or it wont oil the chain and you have to do this about 10 mins before you get home as that is how long it takes for the full shot to gravity feed onto the chain.
2) setting the oil delivery head position onto the rear sprocket is fiddley and this is not helped that the inside of the Storm swingarm is concave so you dont have a flat surface to cable tie the wire holder to. To solve this I made a bit of wood to a shape that sits in the swingarm to create a convex [bulges out] surface, and now the cable tie holds the mounting wire much more robustly against the wood. but sometimes the paddockstand hits the cable tie and moves the delivery head, so I just have to spin the wheel forward and back and check that the delivery unit is not being pulled into the teeth.

for the money you cant go wrong
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I've been reading up on the PDOliler, I might give that a go when I get new chain and sprockets. I like the idea that the flow rate does not need adjusting with temperature and that it can pump uphill. Not sure about the wick system and I don't like that the oil reservoir is not transparent and it uses a dipstick. Still, if I have to check the dipstick it may make me check my engine oil level more frequently. All these chain oilers have their pros and cons and there does not appear to be any perfect one.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

AMCQ46 wrote: the inside of the Storm swingarm is concave so you dont have a flat surface to cable tie the wire holder to. To solve this I made a bit of wood to a shape that sits in the swingarm to create a convex [bulges out] surface, and now the cable tie holds the mounting wire much more robustly against the wood. but sometimes the paddockstand hits the cable tie and moves the delivery head, so I just have to spin the wheel forward and back and check that the delivery unit is not being pulled into the teeth.

for the money you cant go wrong
this is the issue with the Tutoro thing - I used some trunking - the difference between the two systems being the feed. The tutoro has twin small tubes that sit above each side of the chain and move! Tried stiff wire etc, although the second part I had had wire coiled around the delivery tube, but still the movement from the amount of wired tube need to address the chain with the two small dropper tubes was too much and would risk snagging. Precisely what happened so i ditched them. Looks like this person has rigged up something to overcome this

Might give this Loobman a go as I like simple but only if it works :D