The Old Chesnut........Tyres

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Golgother

The Old Chesnut........Tyres

Post by Golgother »

Hey All

I'm sure this has been done to death but here goes........

Looking for a good sport touring tyre setup for mi 98 Storm.

Any advice is welcome.............. :thumbup:

Cheers
Matt
1998 VTR, One of the red fast ones, Harris Laverda
Wicky

Re: The Old Chesnut........Tyres

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
geodude

Post by geodude »

For a big twin with all that torque at the rear wheel, you want Pilot Road 2 or 3's imho
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

hi not had a firestorm long but had lots of bikes, Bridgestone 023 are superb on the majority of what i have had.Regards Paul.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
geodude

Post by geodude »

I hear that the BT023 square off pretty quickly? It was certainly true of the BT020 and 021 I have tried in the past.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Not in my experience - as they are dual compound (edit: Front is a single-compound, rear is triple-compound) with a softer edge. Though if you ride upright all the time then eventually yes they'll wear flat...
geodude wrote:I hear that the BT023 square off pretty quickly? It was certainly true of the BT020 and 021 I have tried in the past.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I hear that the BT023 square off pretty quickly?
Bridgestone do an optional specification (GT Version) which are harder wearing BT023 for heavier bikes. If going down that route make sure they are the right ones.
An optional specification will also be available for heavyweight bikes such as the BMW K1300GT (120/70ZR17 and 180/55ZR17). With a special pattern and cross belt construction on the front, combined with an MSB + 1 belt rear construction, this option is designed to give heavier bikes light handling, sharp braking and long wear life.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en
and another.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Bridgesto ... 4d056d06da

I have just had spme pilot road 3's fitted and I have BT023's on my Fazer, either option is a good choice. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
seb421

Post by seb421 »

As said either the BT023's as used by Ron Haslam on his Race School bikes (thats how good they are) or the Pilot Road 3's Again a great tyre i will use again and again

Both tyres are top of the field on tests, i went for the Road 3's simply because they was the marginally better of the two in the wet tests and given i do a lot of wet riding throughout the year it was the natural choice of the two for me

expect to pay anything from 200 upto 260 for a set fitted depending on dealer deals if you shop around
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Avon Storms. Used them (and their predecessors) for years. Dual compound, 7,500 can be had from a rear. Have pissed all over sports bikes with sticky rubber on the Storm and these tyres over the years. Cheap(ish) too.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Could still get 021s at the end of Oct, iirc I paid £120 fitted for a rear.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The Old Chestnut is not a bad pub, but suggest you stick to bottled beer If you are not up the ravages of the home brewed real ale.

As for tyres, another vote for PR2 or PR3. Great in the wet and brilliant in the dry :thumbup: plus a good milage and they suit the bike
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:Avon Storms. Used them (and their predecessors) for years. Dual compound, 7,500 can be had from a rear. Have pissed all over sports bikes with sticky rubber on the Storm and these tyres over the years. Cheap(ish) too.
+1

I use them too, and IIRC they still have a guarantee for the first 1000mls (or a loss of tread up to 1mm, whichever comes first). If you're unlucky enough to get a puncture in that period you'll get a brand new replacement tyre foc :D

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The old chestnut- tyres roasted on an open Firestone.

Make of that what you will.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mr.john.coates

Post by mr.john.coates »

sirch345 wrote:
Stratman wrote:Avon Storms. Used them (and their predecessors) for years. Dual compound, 7,500 can be had from a rear. Have pissed all over sports bikes with sticky rubber on the Storm and these tyres over the years. Cheap(ish) too.
+1

I use them too, and IIRC they still have a guarantee for the first 1000mls (or a loss of tread up to 1mm, whichever comes first). If you're unlucky enough to get a puncture in that period you'll get a brand new replacement tyre foc :D

Chris.
+1 again. I love Storms and the confidence and grip in wet or dry. I've had over 12,000 miles on a front (on my Deauville though and that's a heavy bike) so great value for money.
NT650V in Red
VTR1000R in Blue
Pushbike in Yellow
Wife in Bed
adyf

Post by adyf »

Have Avon av60 sports on at moment ,fitting Avon 3d ultras on recommendation from my bike mechanic
going with supersport on front 260 fitted,Xmas pressie from the Mrs!