Thinking of a firestorm

General Bike chat
sparky750

Thinking of a firestorm

Post by sparky750 »

Hi I'm new here :oops: and I'm about to get rid of my gixer 750 and I've been thinking of a firestorm. I'll be buying secondhand is there anything specific i should look out for? I want the fun but with a bit more comfort and a little less speed plus i love the sound. Also can anyone point me in the direction of good reviews and what to watch out for in a second hand storm on the net found a few but very vague.
Cheers for any help
The voices made me do it
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Ummmm . . . . . cant be arsed 1 anyone else ?
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

yellafella wrote:Ummmm . . . . . cant be arsed 1 anyone else ?
Fair one 8)
deffo look out for the CCT...(cam chain tensioner) notes have been posted elsewhere about this

apart from that...enjoy ur storm.......an excellent, highly under rated machine !!!!!!
Cheers i've read about that will defo keep any eye out for it, Gonna have a lookround today who knows may come home with one.
The voices made me do it
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Red is fastest , fact :twisted:
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Sparky, Welcome on board,
As personal feelings go for the VTR, I myself find the vee twin power characteristic's suit me, down to the ground, the low down torque is what a big vee twin is all about for me. Its completely different to inline four engine of the GSXR 750. My advise would be to test ride one then make up your mind. The GSXR 750 is basically all balls out, go for it, ring its neck type of bike, which is fine if thats what you want. If you have ridden a VTR before you'll know what I mean, if not I think you're in for a surprise. So test ride first then decide, you'll either hate it or love it!!!!
Wishing you all the best, Chris.
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Cheers serch and your right i do love it.
Bought one today 52 plate 1 owner full history 5500 miles mint condition and it puts a big stupid grin on my face like you wouldn't believe :lol: had all the top sports bikes blades, zx9r's gixers etc, and as you said they are balls out and i love that but i found i was getting a bit stupid on them. Me and the girlfriend are looking forward to some nice rides out on it she hated my sports bikes but likes this. locked the back up a few times so used to cogging down but i love the low down grunt and its bloody comfortable. I only rode 10 miles on it and i was converted plus still keep with mates blade on our favourite lane. Fuel gauge wow and a clock. I'd be out on it now but no tax till tomorrow and the police are out in force today. Been sat there just listening to the sound though OMG wow i wouldn't mind hearing it with some after market cans still road legal but just that bit more fruity. Any tips on the bike or anything much appreciated. oh and its blue red is unlucky for me with bikes and cars wanted yellow but hey.
The voices made me do it
logan7

Post by logan7 »

Get high level carbon cans they sound fecking great :twisted:
The force is strong in this one
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Sparky750 (or should that now be sparky 996)
Pleased to hear you got the VTR and love it. Besides the the rear wheel locking up if you change down a bit quick, watch out for another little qwerky thing the VTR can catch you out on, if you are not prepared for it. When pulling away a bit quick from a standstill at a tee junction the motor can sometimes spit back through one of the carbs and die on you just as you are banking over and turning on the gas, if you're not quick enough pulling in the clutch then you will more than likely drop the bike, its something which my bike does occasionally and I nearly did drop it when I had it at first, but after a short while you don't even think about it. Some owners say their bikes never do it. while others do,
enjoy, Chris.
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Now thats good to know. just been washing and polishing it (Black wheels are heaven sent gixer had white ones :cry: ) One thing i have notice it's very very easy to get it on one wheel wouldn't mind so much if i'd been trying :oops:. Tying the dog to it tonight so no thieving chav can steel it couldnt get through to insurance.
The voices made me do it
Bink

Post by Bink »

Sparky - Good choice!
I changed for the same reasons. You'll get the hang on the torque after a little while and you'll start using the rear wheeling braking to your advantage. (Blip the throttle be fore releasing the clutch will help :D , get it right and you'll feel like a WSB rider)

Talk to ya!
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Greetings sparky, welcome aboard. One warning..... dont give it a big handfull and dump the clutch away from the lights, you'll only end up with a face full of speedo and a missing pillion.
Rich.

bluesman

storm

Post by bluesman »

I've been returning to V-twin with Storm...had V-twin small bike, was my first jap, then moved to midrange-happy inline fours (notbeing big fan of torque gaps in midrange), and now back on V-twin with Storm.
I am loving it :)

Another thing - it is easy to service comparing to line-fours covered in acres of plastic.
And - if you want to get best out of Storm get rid of stock shock (I liked Wibers most, even over Ohlins and ended up with Wilbers 4-was adjustable), change springs and oil in forks. With aftermarket shock with correct spring you may set rear a bit higher instead of dropping forks and Storm will "flick" way faster, then braided hoses and nice cans - and you will like it even more! :)

And then take mates with inline-fours to tight alpine roads and they will see only rear of your bike - you just need place where low-mid torque is vital over high rpm power :twisted:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Cheers for the welcome guys just been plugging it in and putting every lock i can find on it. Dying to get it up on the rynose pass in the lakes fantastic road when its clear tight turns great view have to play with the brakes first though.
One warning..... dont give it a big handfull and dump the clutch away from the lights, you'll only end up with a face full of speedo and a missing pillion.
That could be a good thing depending who the pillion is :wink:
There are a few things i'll probably alter and play with but i'm gonna give it a while up to now i'm happy as it is just gotta remember to screw my Vtwin hat on before i go out :oops:
The voices made me do it
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

......Blue is deffo the best colour.... (see left).... welcome aboard...

oh, & yup... get some high level carbon cans, as suggested above... look the mutts nuts and sound sooooooo much better.... (erm...see left)
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Had a RSV mille for a little while liked it expensive when things go wrong though and it was hard to get parts. Sure you'll love it i used to like mine but was offered a blade at incredible price so swapped it in. Why not part chop the mille then? Just a thought.
The voices made me do it