Fitting Braided hoses, easy?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Hush

Fitting Braided hoses, easy?

Post by Hush »

Hi, does anyone have a link to "How To" for fitting braided hoses. I'm sure I've seen one somewhere but can't find it. Is this a hard job? From what I've found searching the posts, its a lot easier witha bleed kit but not clear how to use it.

Thanks for any help!

Nick
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Not done mine, (brakes scare me), like anything i suppose, easy if you know how....

Try a search under workshop, must be dozens of threads on this... otherwise dont think there is a specific "how to"
Hush

Post by Hush »

This is the one i was looking for!

http://www.kamware.com/vtr1000f/bl1.htm

Cheers
BigD

Post by BigD »

Apart from the bleeding bit, I found sussing the best place to run the hoses the most difficult. Also, I think there were a couple of brackets missing from my kit and I had to make some up. I tried following the explanation in the instructions I had, but couldn't follow the route they had taken.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

My top tip for replacing the hoses is to remove the calipers from the disks BEFORE you remove the hoses. Then, leaving the pads in, pump out the pistons til the pads meet (NB make sure they're coming out evenly and meet in the middle)

This means that you then have 2 calipers full of brake fluid so that when you fit the new empty hoses all you have to do is push the pistons back in and fluid is forced UP the pipes (ie in the same direction as the trapped air wants to go)
Then replace the calipers and gently pump the lever til the pads contact the disks TOPPING THE RESEVOIR UP WITH FLUID AS YOU GO

This save about an hour of pumping a totally flaccid lever to try and bleed it from the top down

Ben
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Bled my brakes at weekend, took 5 mins using a cheap and chearfull brake bleeding kit, the one that has a one way valve in it.
Bung it on bleed nipple, crack it open and pump away on brake lever, keeping the level topped up in master cylinder of course.

Robb
delta1

Post by delta1 »

has anyone got any pics on how to route goodridge stainless front brake hoses cos mine seem way too long but r def for the storm
Paddockstand Ltd

Brakes

Post by Paddockstand Ltd »

Absolute doddle :)

Just becareful with the brake fluid.

Get yourself a brakeline bleeding kit about £7 halfords and if you play your cards right it will take you a couple of hours. You must get those bubbles out of the system tho. If not sure take your lines (that you bought from me :o)) down to your nearest garage.
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
stu9000

Fitting braided brakes (front)

Post by stu9000 »

I used Goodridge SP1 hoses.

Got a bit confused at first because the originals brake lines on the bike went first to one caliper with a short line that hops over the wheel to the other.

Whereas the braided hoses are two cables, one going to each caliper, both bolted together with a longer bango bolt into the brake lever (the bolt is drilled with two holes to feed in the oil, it comes with the hoses).

Getting the two hoses onto the longer bolt and screwing it to the brake leaver was the most fiddly bit. You have got to make sure you have the right end of the hose at the lever or it wont fit. You want the hose end that is slightly bent at the lever and the end that looks straight at the caliper.

Hoses seemed long to me too at first but by the time I got them in place it fitted fine.

Fitting them was easy after that. I dont think I even took the faring off. Just drain the system, remove the old lines, fit the new ones and bleed the system.

It seemed soft at first, like there was still air in the sytem, but I bungeed the brake lever closed over night and that squeezed out any air.

Its WELL worth doing. A huge improvement and looks much better.
red is the fastest colour;)