R/R, battery, or something else ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
the exile

R/R, battery, or something else ?

Post by the exile »

I know I know, this is a well chewed subject but my bike isn't giving any obvious answers.
The battery takes and holds good charge from my optimate, 12.9v after a week standing outside under wraps. It turns over and starts rapidly and runs beautifully.
So, a 70 mile ride to a regular meet up (willingham woods for those living in Notts/Lincs), stop the motor, have a cuppa for 10 minutes, back on and starts/runs great. Stop at Cadwell Park for 90 minutes, starts/runs great. Another 60 mile ride back, fill up, go to start it and it doesn't want to turn over but fortunately does fire and we're off home. Park bike outside house for 5 mins and start it again without problem to take it down the side of the house.
That was 3 weeks ago.
Yesterday it started and ran beautifully for a short trip, 2 hours stop, started great. Got home (10 min ride), I stopped the engine, opened side gate, went to start and flat battery !! WTF !
The RR went in my Ducati last year and I knew this with attaching the (not mains supplied) optimate and running the bike with lights on etc and the input voltage dropped as the RR got hotter. Simple obvious fix.
Ran the same procedure this morning and the battery is getting a good steady charge with the lights on ( 14.5v - 14.7V ) even after running the bike on idle for 10 minutes and dipping to 13.8v when the brakes are operated. The RR is V hot and the battery is cold. Stopped the bike and started it again to immitate yesterdays failure, it started beautifully.
I don't mind replacing any defective part but I'm truly at a loss as to what is defective.
If you're still awake after reading this blarney, firstly thank you for getting this far and secondly, do you have any ideas please.
Many thanks,
Ged
Wicky

Re: R/R, battery, or something else ?

Post by Wicky »

Clean all your electrical connections and earths etc. If no joy >

Fit one of these esp if you've got an early unfinned R/R, + you might possibly need to get a new battery if damage has been done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR-125 ... 713wt_1368

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR125- ... 772wt_1134
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
the exile

Post by the exile »

Thanks Wicky. I've got a finned RR on it already and all the obvious wires are very secure. Took it for a spin yesterday and pulled over every 20 minutes to check the voltage input and battery temperature and all was well. I guess I'm going to replace the battery because it looks fairly old and hope that cures it.
Cheers, Ged
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

If the regulator rectifier is faulty it can cause overcharging of the battery (and probably pop some bulbs at the same time). That will damage it internally and unfortunately mean that its ability to hold a charge will be a unpredictable.

Sounds like your R/R is faulty and the battery has been cooked. Replace them both at the same time.

Al.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1 If the R/R is overcharging it's no good just putting a new battery on as it will get damaged. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
the exile

Post by the exile »

Thanks all.
So, £50 in the right hand, £0 in the left.
What should the RR be charging at, consistant voltage and all. Mine drifts from 14.7 to 15.0 volts with lights on. Is this too much and have caused battery fry ? Or is it normal.
I've read some posts that have said that if the RR was on the blink the bike would run badly, conk out because the battery isn't used whilst the motor is running and is just being charged, but if there's a faulty cell in the battery it will do random things like maybe start, maybe not.
OK, the £50 in the air now, battery or RR ?
Ps, I've had my Storm for 5 months and it is the easiest and most fun bike I've ever owned.
Cheers
Ged
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Battery Capacity 12 V-10AH
Current leakage 0.1 mA max.
Voltage Fully charged i 13.0 – 13.2V
(68 °F/20 °C) Needs charging Below 12.3 V
Charging current Normal 1.2Ax5-10h
Quick 5.0 A x 1.0 h
Alternator Capacity 0.280 kW
Chargingcoil resistance (68 °F/20 °C) 0.2-0.5 Ω
Regulator/rectifier regulated voltage 13.5 – 15.5 V @ 5,000 (rpm)
Last edited by Wicky on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

IMO the R/R is faulty and overcharging, it should see between 12.5v and 14.4V depending on revs. 15.0 volts with lights on is high. You will need to replace the R/R and more than likely the battery as well, as when it overcharges it frys the battery cells.

You could probably find a cheap 2nd hand R/R for £20. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
the exile

Post by the exile »

Thanks again cybercarl and wicky, new RR it is then and probably new battery next pay.
I've been looking at batteries on flea buy and the battery I have now is CBTX12-BS for my 53 plate but am looking at a motobat MBTX9U to replace it. What is the official battery size for my bike ?
Cheers, and have a great riding weekend !
Ged
the exile

Post by the exile »

Sorted !! Fixed !!! Costing NOWT !!
Please see my post "slow turning over, VERY corroded starter connections" on 26th Sept

Here's the link:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26048