help needed.

General Biker Banter
rob...

help needed.

Post by rob... »

hello? vtr emergency rescue? lol
i'm away from home, tools, w/shop manual etc...
went to start the bike s'morning, the battery was flat. battery's on charge now, but i don't know why it went flat. (never had a prob before).
i've borrowed a multi-meter and checked the wiring, earths, connectors etc all seems ok....
can someone plz post up the specs for checking the alternator output, reg/rect output (changed reg/rect for a finned honda one).
fanx muchly.
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
VTRDark

Re: help needed.

Post by VTRDark »

Screen shot from the manual.

and there's this a fault diagnosis chart here http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 13#p224713 but I suspect you know what your doing anyway and just want specs. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
rob...

Post by rob... »

cheers m8, had the battery on charge, turns out the borrowed charger was u/s, :roll: just been and bought another charger,(even tho i've got one at home... grrrrrr), seems like the battery is ferked, all that bouncing around in a hardtail chop seems to have shaken it to bits.... :roll:
new, rubber mounted battery box when i get home then.... :lol:
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
rob...

Post by rob... »

£70 bloody quid for a new battery!!! robbing bast*rds!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's a bit steep 8O Foam or rubber would be good to take some of the bouncing around out of it. So new battery and a charger and that's £100 gone. Everything just so expensive these days, £100 is like £50 a few years back. :twisted:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
rob...

Post by rob... »

yeh, innit!! 8O a Yausa YTX14, which, strangely, was cheaper than a YTX12?? it was sat on a coupla bits of inner tube, i guess it needs some foam and a slightly bigger box, as you say... 8)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A gel one would be better, not fluid loose inside to be shaken about.
The casings should be ok mounted solidly, even in a hardtail, without any concerns.

You're more likely to have issues with the wires fatiguing.
Sure the alternator and RR's ok?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
rob...

Post by rob... »

next prob!!! LOL.

today it's started blowing oil out of the breather tank.....

as per the pic, i run both head breathers and the crankcase oil filler hole to a stainless tank just behind the radiator, in the pic, with 2 small blue 'K&N' style filters on it.

it's done over 2,000 miles like this, including hundreds of motorway miles at 3 figure speeds, (i have the neck ache to prove...), now it's started blowing oil out of the filters, all over the right hand side of the bike, and the right hand side of me.....
oil level is fine, i check it regularly, and keep it between the lines in the sight glass, it's used about 1/2 a litre in 2,000 miles.

any ideas why it's suddenly decided to do this????
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

It looks a bit like a Harley and now its giving you Harley problems lol.
Rob

Post by Rob »

1/2 litre in 2,000 miles sounds like a lot to me, in 25K miles mine has never used a noticeable amount. Certainly never topped up between services.

I assume you've checked the oil catch tank and it's not full therefore leaving the oil no choice but to force it's way out the filters? That's all I can think, that it's just started happening because the pipes and tank are clogged.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
rob...

Post by rob... »

TBH, i haven't looked yet, didn't get time today, checked the oil when it started doing it, was fine so kept going, checking the level regularly, no noticable drop in the window.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Is it just that the tank's full up?

Have you got a drain tap on it?

Or I could read all the posts before stating the bleeding obvious.......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
rob...

Post by rob... »

tony.mon wrote:Is it just that the tank's full up?

it should drain out of the bottom of the tank, down the hose, and back into the engine thru the filler hole.
Rob

Post by Rob »

rob... wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Is it just that the tank's full up?

it should drain out of the bottom of the tank, down the hose, and back into the engine thru the filler hole.
The stuff out the breathers will contain a lot of water condensation as well as oil. You really don't want to be putting that back into your engine!

*Edit just did a quick search and came up with this:-

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11510

I know it's a car - still an engine.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
rob...

Post by rob... »

hmmmm, good point, a slight re-design is called for then. :wink: