Lightening flywheel - by how much?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rob

Re: Lightening flywheel - by how much?

Post by Rob »

Cheers Carl, bit expensive for something I'll probably only use once but I'll get one anway. Saves all the messing about.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just go a car scrapyard and get a volvo wheelbolt, peugot sump plug, or go a local truckspares dealer and get a erf, iveco or scania wheel bolt.

or ebay, £13 for a extractor bolt.

or like i did, turn down a m30 bolt, single point it to m22x1.5 took 10 mins

or - before you buy anything - test out tony's theory that the rear wheel spindle is the same thread.....
cant confirm that but could well be... :think:

also a 1/2" bsp fitting is very very close but you will need a stainless fitting not galv / brass

DONT USE A HAMMER on the flywheel or it will deform and be out of true, probably hit the stator coils, defo vibrate more, break the magnets inside etc.

&btw rogers dimensions are toss. try them against a std flywheel - they dont make sense.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the ideas, I'll have everything ready before starting the job.

OK, no hammer, how about a couple of wrecking bars behind it and wedged against the case :thumbup:

:roll:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Rob wrote:Thanks for the ideas, I'll have everything ready before starting the job.

OK, no hammer, how about a couple of wrecking bars behind it and wedged against the case :thumbup:

What about a couple of small blobs of semtex..... :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Rob wrote:Thanks for the ideas, I'll have everything ready before starting the job.

there is no other way. get the bolt.
trust me ive tried. you will crouton it up - theyre actually quite fragile especially when theyve been lightened.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You'll deform the crankcases and at best end up with an oil leak; at worst bugger your cases.
Which won't make it any faster at all.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
rob...

Post by rob... »

tony.mon wrote: Which won't make it any faster at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was joking.... not into buggering things up as then I have to replace them.

Always happy to buy tools to do stuff myself - nearly always works out cheaper than taking it to a garage and I still have the tool afterwards.

Ordered the Flywheel extractor, new gasket and a 12V impact wrench + impact socket set (Been looking for an excuse to buy one for ages)
Will no doubt come in useful when I tackle the rear linkages over winter.

I might still bugger it up mind :lol:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

benny hedges wrote:&btw rogers dimensions are toss. try them against a std flywheel - they dont make sense.
Roger´s picture is a bit confusing for engineers, this is result of his spec, and for me works perfectly.

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

you can take more off than that ;)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

benny hedges wrote:you can take more off than that ;)
I know I did :-)
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I have turned this one down over the last week to what you can see in the pics...

Was thinking I could also skim the bearing carrier and use shorter bolts as well to lighten a little more.

Without a bike to test it on it's just sitting here though :cry:

Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Holy sh1t mark that will be like riding a 2 stroke lol

How much weight did you remove from it ?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that's extreme 8O Got my my curiosity going though, as to how that will behave. I'm wondering if it will affect the generator charging much. And how it will feel with no flywheel as there's not much left on there.
Was thinking I could also skim the bearing carrier
Looking at it, it looks like you would only be able to take off a couple of mm until you reach the giant circlip. Otherwise the bearing itself will need skimming, and I'm not sure that's possible without it falling apart or how it will behave. Or I can't see any problem taking some off where the bolts protrude and trimming the bolts down as the whole thing has been lightened, the bolts wont have to be so heavy duty. How much thread is on the other side or is it just the bit we can see in the pics where all the thread/grip is? In other words is the bolt head flush on the other side.

Nice work. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

gl_s_r wrote:I have turned this one down over the last week to what you can see in the pics...

Was thinking I could also skim the bearing carrier and use shorter bolts as well to lighten a little more.

Without a bike to test it on it's just sitting here though :cry:

is there a risk that you have now machined off the drilling done to correct the ballance? [the 3 shallow holes on the std one], so it might be slightly out of balance?
AMcQ