VTR1000 versus VFR800

General Bike chat
JP

VTR1000 versus VFR800

Post by JP »

Hi folks,

I'm currently driving an old VFR-750, and it's time to change.

Because I like the V-block, I reduced the choice between a 2003 VTR Firestorm and a new VFR-800 VTEC.

Who had experience with the 2003 VTR-1000?
What about the fuel consumption, has it improved compared with the older ones?

I heard people make the comments that the VFR-800 is boring.
Who has experience with this machine?

I'm doing both commuter driving on the motorway and in the city with my bike,
as well as sometimes a 'fun-week' in the mountains with friends.
So I need a bike which is a bit comfortable, reliable, good handling and fun.

Any advice which bike would be the better one?

Thanks,
JP from Holland
twinbrd

Post by twinbrd »

I have a 1998 VTR1000 and ride with a good friend who is on a 2002 VFR800 (no ABS)... As far as acceleration and handling, they seem to be very similar, I do corner quite a bit faster than him, but I don't think that is any fault of his bike:-) The only complaint that he has had is about the brakes. My opinion is that the VTR is a little more race ready, but if I were going to be commuting long distances, I would probably want to be on the VFR, due to gas milage and comfort.

Hope this helps.

Jon
philm

VTR versus VTEC

Post by philm »

Hi JP from Holland
May I reply to your post?
I am in the position to possibly answer your question as I have had experience of both bikes within the last 6 months.
I had the original vtr1000 bought new in 1997,really loved that bike!The only shortcoming was the lousy fuel range,but I lived with it.
As I had the bike for approx. 5 years,I decided it was time for a change
so I went for the VFR800 VTEC.I bought the VFR in July last year and I
disposed of it by January this year.Had it for 6 months or so!
The vtec just didnt do anything for me,sure it was comfortable and the fuel range was really good but it just didnt have the grunt of the 'ol vtr1000.The vtec is a joke,the extra 2 valves coming on song at 7000rpm.
How often can you boot a bike up to seven grand around town.What a waste!At least with the vtr it's instant grunt just roll the throttle on!
I now have the 2002/3 latest VTR1000,still running it in,but I hope it will be as good as the original bike I had.
I still keep in touch with the VFR honda club in the U.K.[honda vfr club.org]
It is interesting but at present someone has discovered that the vtec basically has to have the engine removed for a major service costing approx 600 uk pounds for the experience.I gather there is some rumblings
of discontent among the vtec owners there.
I personally had some problems with the fuel injection on my vtec,surging,
stopping altogether,hesitation going around corners etc.I dont think Honda have got this bike altogether sorted as yet!At least the vtr1000 is an honest bike,no pretentions just good solid performance.
Anyway thats it from me.Hello from Perth Western Australia
Regards Philm
stopping altogether
philm/Stormboy
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

I ride for a living :D and amongst others I currently use both the V tech and non Vtech VFR800s Both are great bikes to be riding all day. They are comfy over a distance, have good fuel economy, are more than fast enough and handle well enough for everyone except the odd exceptional track god 8) . I have allways found the brakes to be fine. I think the V tech version is complicated for the sake of it and is certainly not a better bike than the original merely different :cry: and to make a living on I would choose the VFR 800 :) . The weekend sir now thats a different matter altogether :twisted: . Be as sensible as you like, but for fun go for the storm. So long as you dont want to be in the saddle for much more than an hour before refueling :oops: The storm is just as comfortable, fast, good handling etc. If you want miles per gallon go for the 800 :wink: , If you want smiles per gallon its got to be the Firestorm. :lol:
Hope this helps
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

blackstorm wrote:If you want miles per gallon go for the 800 :wink: , If you want smiles per gallon its got to be the Firestorm. :lol:
Cracking summary - someone should write that down :D :lol:
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

pure poetry 8) i like it ,more smiles per miles :wink:
elmer fud

vfr or vtr

Post by elmer fud »

Hi,
a good friend of mine bought a vtec after his storm.
He had problems with the fuel injection system-cutting out, snatching etc.
He found the riding position to be painfull (he is 6ft2) compared to the vtr and he always complained that the bike ran so hot it made town riding even more uncomfortable because he was sweating his ass off all the time.
On the whole he was not a happy chappy. He traded it in after 8 months for a Ducati.
He would have had another vtr if he would have been able to get as good a deal as he was offered against the ducati.
He felt insulted by the way the honda dealership (Halls of Blackpool) handled his complaints and now says he will never buy another honda.
hth
Take it to bits, put back together, nothing left in box...woohoo!
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

WayneM wrote:
blackstorm wrote:If you want miles per gallon go for the 800 :wink: , If you want smiles per gallon its got to be the Firestorm. :lol:
Cracking summary - someone should write that down :D :lol:
Write it down?Hell no Wayne...I'm gonna get it tatooed on !! :D
Ace one liner , blackstorm.
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Enough!
Your making me embarassed :oops: