Problem with a Shoei Lid

General Bike chat
firestorm996

Problem with a Shoei Lid

Post by firestorm996 »

Has anyone on here had any problems with Shoei lids, pressing on your temple and giving you headache? Mine seems to dig in, there's quite a sharp edge to the foam, and very little in the way of lining/padding in that area compared to my old AGV and any others I've looked at. :sad2

On the way down to Brands it was driving me :mad2 I had to stop every 25-30 miles and take me lid off for a few minutes as it was so uncomfortable, which pissed me off no end. On the way back it was better, but still not great. I've probably done about 1500 miles with it from new, maybe it needs longer to bed in properly but I'm sure it could do with a little extra padding in that area. :whatever

Second question, anyone got anything suitable that I can pad it with? Ie one of the pads from that area in a knackered lid or something?

Otherwise it's fine and fits me well. It's only when you sit on the motorway for 20-30 miles or so that the problem becomes apparent.

Cheers
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I had a similar problem with my AGV evo. What I ended up doing was unclipping the lining to reveal the polystyrene type padding ( the EVO has a removable lining ) then rolling a C-type battery along the edge of the padding to compress it slightly.

It worked a treat although I had to do it a few times before the lid was truely comfortable. Even now though, it is still such a close fit that if my hair grows too long the pain comes back!

Al.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

One of the lads on the list suggested a similar way, by flattening the curve with a warm spoon. I'm loathed to reshape the foam though, after spending 250 quid on it, and I don't want to compromise it safety-wise either.

The main prob seems to be the lack of a pad in the forehead area, matey's Arai has one, my AGV has a nice thick cushion there too but the Shoei has next to f*&k all.
Firestorm996
WayneM

Shoei Lid

Post by WayneM »

I've got the Shoei Interceptor and it fits just fine and dandy. I've also got the Arai QuantumF.

The only gripes I have with the Shoei (compared to the Arai) is its way too loud on the wind noise front and my glasses dont sit in there nicely. Apart from that, no problems.

Possible problem might be that "missing link" forehead of yours! :lol:
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Wayne

How did you know? :mrgreen:
Firestorm996
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

I always found Shoei helmets pressed hard on my forehead, and Arai's to fit perfectly (except the RX-RR) - until I tried a TZ-1 Shoei that fits perfectly.

Re: padding, if you cant find something suitable, try a medical supplies store. They might have this pressure absorbing material that looks like a slab of calamari. It's actually a vinyl polymerase that's soft and flexible can be easily cut to any shape and is designed to be comfortable against the skin.

Good luck.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Neil,

Jen said try a sanitary towel (it'll soak ya sweat up too) ya girl and she said you are just making more excusses for an inability to ride.

pp Jen :twisted:
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Sanitary towel eh, like wot you use on your chalfonts? :mrgreen:

When you ride as bad as I do, you can never have too many excuses... :wink2

Hiccup.
Firestorm996