Slow Starting Problem

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bethanysdaddy

Re: Slow Starting Problem

Post by bethanysdaddy »

I have used some Loctite 270 on the threads. I am sure they did replace some shims as the bike was very top end noisey when warm. Due to the incompetance I have witnessed in this job, I think I will, as suggested, re-check the clearances tomorrow. I stil have the front cylinder to do.

I did lift off the holders to check for overheating or scoring of the surfaces of the holder and cams but all seems Ok so far.

Thank you for your help, hopefully I will report some good news tomorrow when I restart the old girl!
bethanysdaddy

Post by bethanysdaddy »

Well, now all sorted. Starts easily. Theres a lesson to be learned from this, I will never use a bike shop again to do any work. I only put it in because I didnt have the time. I have 12 years experience as a vehicle technician and I only use garages when I am too busy or need something done in a hurry (while Im at work).

I have phoned the shop and gave them some negative feedback. They were more than appologetic and have offered me half the price back for doing the job.

This bad workmanship could have caused alot of damage. I will not name the shop as they have been fair with my grievance, but people- beware, not all bike shops do a good job, even the ones you trust. The bike shop is 45 miles from my house and I only used them as they are the only ones I trusted.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

So was it that they hadn't torqued the bolts down to the correct settings mate or no put the correct shims in?
bethanysdaddy

Post by bethanysdaddy »

They had overtightened the cam holder bolts by a long way. They should only be 21Nm
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

That's pretty bad mate, I know what you mean when you say you've lost trust in them!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Glad it all sorted mate. :thumbup: At least they have refunded you some money, though it shouldn't happened in the first place. If they where unsure on the torque settings then they could have easily looked it up :(

I have always done my own work on cars and bikes so have never had any bad experiences with garages. And the only garage I recommend to friends and family is the one where I know the mechanic. He helped to train me many years ago when I worked there.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside