Hello from Shetland

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
colinfaeshetland

Hello from Shetland

Post by colinfaeshetland »

Hi Guys

Brief history, i had not ridden a bike for 30 years until my son purchased a Daytona at the beginning of this year
midlife crisis kicked in and i purchased a 1983 Honda Magna VF1100 V65, middle of July the head gaskets gave out and the
old girl's in for repair, bug well bitten by this time.

To finish of our summer i picked up this wee beauty....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320948743866? ... 1423.l2649

luv it with only one reservation......after a while the weight on my hands is to much, are risers the answer? if so which ones are best?

H BAR RISERS VFR750 cbr 600 vtr1000 VFR800 FIRESTORM from GBmoto Ltd £69.95

or

Genmar handle bar risers Honda VTR1000 Firestorm 97-05 from Johnny Rocker £96.95

Good points are to many to post....handles like a dream.

Thanks for any help or advise.

Colin
partygirl

Re: Hello from Shetland

Post by partygirl »

welcome Colin :D glad you found us, :D :D
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Hello mate and welcome to the club. Some people have fitted late model VTR bars, some VFR bars and a few have followed the route you mentioned. You can also get clip ons with a higher rise from places like SVraceparts.com
Good luck :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the club.............have fun :thumbup:

as for sore wrists I think those 2 products are almost identical, and there is alos teh option to fit VFR800 bars or mod the top yoke and fit flat bars. there are a few threads if you search for risers or comfort or other things like that.

But I have to ask how far before you have the pain, because although I have never managed to get out to Shetland I figure there must be no more than 70miles of roads? :lol:

And if the roads in Shetland are anything like Galloway where I grew up, you might want to go the flat bar route and make it a bit more like a supermoto
AMcQ
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Welcome to the forum, I got a comfort kit for mine http://www.topyokes.com/comfort_kit_+_handlebars/197
Bars that come with look good, but youd want higher, as they foul the tank & also their an odd height (not low enuf to fit the bike right & not high enuf for real comfort.) Renthal Streetfighter bars would work well thou I think
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum buddy :wave:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
colinfaeshetland

Thanks to you all for the welcome....think I'll try the GBmoto set and see how it feels may also look for fatter grips.

"But I have to ask how far before you have the pain, because although I have never managed to get out to Shetland I figure there must be no more than 70miles of roads? :lol: "
A lot more than 70miles thank goodness AMcQ, am looking forward to a run across to Northern Ireland next July for the Armoy race week.

Cheers for now.

Colin
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome to the forum.

You must be our furthest north UK member. I would love to visit the Orkney islands one day, pure nature. It's one of those places on my list to visit before I die sort of thing. :roll: Your storm must get covered in shite with the amount of bird-life out there. :lol:

Have a good look around the workshop kowlagebase lots of information there for updating and modifying your storm. Any queries just ask, stick around here and you can't go wrong, plenty of advice and guidance and members willing to help out.

:beer: :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
dragonback

Post by dragonback »

hello colin fae shetland, the easiest option to your problem is fuel !!! yes fuel , you simply need to open the throttle more , wind catches chest , lifts you up then instead of all the weight on your wrists you have to grip like hell to stay on , hope this wee bit o advice helps fella lol :P
DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Welcome to the mad house Colin,
Funny how life is, Ive just booked flights to head up there next Tuesday, work not plesure im sorry to say.....
Few beers in the Lerwick Hotel on Tuesday night if your about? :beer:
Good to see that you went for the best colour... shame its tinted with the "slow" decals....
Let us know how you get on with the bar convertion.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
colinfaeshetland

grumpyfrog wrote:Welcome to the mad house Colin,
Funny how life is, Ive just booked flights to head up there next Tuesday, work not plesure im sorry to say.....
Few beers in the Lerwick Hotel on Tuesday night if your about? :beer:
Good to see that you went for the best colour... shame its tinted with the "slow" decals....
Let us know how you get on with the bar convertion.
Thanks for the welcome grumpyfrog, risers are still in the post and look forward to saying hi in the Lerwick Hotel...how does 8pm in the bar sound?

Oh and can you bring up some speedy decals.....lol

Colin
colinfaeshetland

A few of our Shetland roads, not all just some....

Can't wait for my run to the mainland next year.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

That must be classed as a good day as the wind sock isn't totally horizontal.
Rich.

colinfaeshetland

We do have some really nice corner combinations in Shetland but sheep and loose gravel are always a worry.