Hein Gericke Closing down sale!

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Re: Hein Gericke Closing down sale!

Post by VTRDark »

and want somewhere to gather and get a coffee and get some local knowledge
Maybe this is the answer to a lot of high st stores. Instead of stocking shitloads of whatever product they sell. Stock little of everything. Have a meeting, coffee shop type environment where people can meet try a few bits of clothing etc. And if they wish to purchase from there then purchase from there. If you want to go somewhere else then go somewhere else. But don't rely on the main business being sales of clothing or whatever, but rely on the the coffee shop. Maybe add a library of books to hire out or read at the premises. We still need places where we can see feel and try on clothing on before purchasing. Or preview products in the flesh so to speak.

I am terrible for going and looking at products in shops or trying clothing first to see what fits. Then go online do my research on the items and then find the cheapest place online to purchase.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

As a shopkeeper myself you are the customer whom I want to stab :thumbdown: don't take it personally :D
It's like I have a shop, pay a fortune for premises with parking on a main rd, pay all the bills, taxes, running costs, employ staff, source the product, pay for product to display and merchandise it correctly, have 30 years experience, get asked loads of questions spend ages giving advice and giving ideas then you make a note and go home and buy elsewhere online because you save a few quid. Its like I am a free showroom and advice centre for someone else who has a website operating from a spare bedroom with a laptop to use while they get the sale for doing jack sh1t.

My summary is a bit tongue in cheek, but you get the idea. Once we have gone bust your left with the online place only :roll:

Just typing this to show it from our side of the counter, I get this often and it is really really annoying, especially when in my business I cam spend several hours with people over a couple of visits.

Sorry but this is my number one pet hate. People have the balls of an elephant. They even borrow samples that cost up to £30-£40 each then bring them back later than they promised broken then we find out from the tradesmen they bought the order online :Argue 1:
Last edited by alternative_vtr on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
alternative_vtr

No hard feelings Carl :biggrin
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
popkat

Post by popkat »

Changed my opinion a bit on HG :thumbdown: went in today to get my daughter some new boots, found a pair that suited, went to pay and offered them a £10 voucher (with the payment) that i'd received a few months ago whilst making another purchase. Woman in the shop says you can't use that it's not valid any more, I explained that i got it with a purchase and that it was still valid, but she said it's not HG's stock and the boots had a discount anyway, again i question and said i won't be buying the boots in that case. I was maybe a little off but not rude or anything but she then said i had a rotten attidude, well i said good luck looking for a new job and walked out. Bit harsh maybe especially as i'm out of work myself but she was being all stroppy and i'd given her no reason to be.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
simo

Post by simo »

+1 Popkat
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No hard feelings Carl
That's allright mate, just think of it this way if there was so many internet sales it wouldn't be worth you opening on Saturdays and then you would be able to attend workshop days. :wink: :lol: What you like at making coffee :biggrin

No seriously though, I don't know what products your sell, but it's the likes of you who have small, mostly family run businesses that I feel sorry for, because your getting pushed out by the big greedy b8stard players in the game. A lot of these stores one goes into you don't get that personal touch or quality of service anymore. More likely someone on minimum wage who hates their job and can't wait to get back home, have no manners and are half asleep. Or some pushy jack butt sales person who just want to direct you to products that that either the company makes most profit on or they get a bonus on. And a lot of places you can't even get the staff. The amount of times I have walked into places and look for a member of staff for help and direction and they are no where to be seen. I go into B&Q stand waiting at a queue with only a couple of tills open and you can't even pay for an item if you try. And they wonder why people nick stuff. Supermarkets wont have anyone on tills soon because machines are taking over. I refuse to use them as they will cause unemployment and that personal touch.

I'm afraid the the digital age and the Internet is changing the world in some good ways, but a lot of bad and is still in a state of being like the wild west. We are loosing that personal touch but this is also a general thing with society in this day and age. Long have the days gone that one could go into woollies and by a 1/4 of sweets or Arkwright's for candles even the local high st butchers, bakers, flower shop etc etc, even the bloody Post office in a lot of places.

Do I dare mention the lack of parking stopping people using shops, Red routes, high parking fees etc etc.

The world is changing and we have to either move with the times or fight out battles to the end at the risk of being left behind and losing out. I don't like the direction the world it is going in, but what can we do about it.

I hate getting old, I'm becoming a moany old git. :(

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I don't bother with HG, but I do try and get stuff at the local bike and mountain bike shop because they are passionate and support racers and races. Would be a crime to see them fold, but the Internet is threatening them all"...........internet's even robbing them of revenue from servicing and repairs as forum users set up workshop days! :oops:

Alternative....good point well made :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: I do try and get at the local bike because they are passionate. Would be a crime to threaten them even robbing them! :oops:

:
I just buy cheap stuff, I try to support my local dealer but the prices they charge for tyres, oil etc is almost double what I can get for other local dealers.
And they've just taken away my 10% parts discount; had that for years, cheeky bar stewers.

I never have worked out why shops like HG never cottoned on to the fact that if they offered a fitting service, at reasonable rates, they'll sell a lot more parts, bolt-ons and service stuff. Then they can prey on you while you're there waiting, and show you lovely leathery-smelling or shiny/carbon things, and you'll probably cave in.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alternative_vtr

I think these things get amplified by the recessesion, it certainly makes us more sensitive because you need to sell stuff to survive of course. Yes Carl we make lovely coffee and would even buy you a bacon buttie :)

It's the morals side that is most disheartening, people seem to be so selfish and sneaky - the classic is they buy stuff use it for what they want then return it with some feeble complaint about the product, we can't send it back so we do a refund then it either goes in the bin or gets put in that pile of "we will keep it and use it one day". I tell you I could write a sitcom like Fawlty Towers about the retail trade :biggrin

Back to Hein Gericke - I suppose like any shop it's down to the individuals that work there, some will be brilliant and helpful and others are just earning a wage, it's just a shame in general that we are gradually loosing shops and just left with Tesco's, B&Q, PC World and Amazon - it's not good for the consumer long term - we are gradually digging our own grave with the changes we are making in shopping habbits.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

it's just a shame in general that we are gradually loosing shops and just left with Tesco's, B&Q, PC World and Amazon - it's not good for the consumer long term
I 100% totally agree. I hate these big companies that take over. We are then forced to conform to their products and ways. :( As the Borg say (Star Trek) "You will be assimilated"

We still don't no what you sell, so what is your shop? Come on market yourself :wink: Your in luck if you say Motorcycle products. We will all be down for a storm day out at shop.

I have only ever purchased a couple of Heine Gericke items in the past and was so disappointed in the quality I vouched never to purchase any of their products ever again. You pay for what you get..

Here's an idea why don't all their stores turn into market places in the dry where stall holders can rent a pitch for the day. Bring back the markets. :thumbup:

alternative_vtr

I wasn't going to say as I didn't want to use this forum to sell my stuff from, I don't want people to get the wrong idea :)
I will PM my shop and you can find out what the mystery is about :)

No it's not a martial aids shop before anyone thinks....... :oops:
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

The cynic inside me smells a rat.....here's my take on it. I haven't been into see the sale but from what I've heard it's not that great. Not much discount on things and most of the popular sizes missing. What I'm thinking is that they've already found a buyer and there using this as an excuse to shift all the non selling, odd sized stuff in time for the new owners taking over. Lets face it, when you go into liquidation your stock gets sold to pay off creditors as quickly as possible. Knocking 10% off a pair of boots isn't going to get you out of administration. I also believe they had a sale on a few months ago that had better offers than a liquidation sale???? Doesn't sound right, does it?
Rich.

Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

I try to support my local independent shops whenever possible. However Hein Gericke is a European wide company with huge, for the modern bike industry, purchasing power. So why are they not like Lidl, selling cheaply rather than top dollar. Times as we all know are hard and yet their pricing is poor, quality may be good but at this time many people would rather save a few bob than buy a product that lasts for 10 years.

I wonder how much of the closure is due to the Euro versus the Pound?
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

cupasoop wrote:I also believe they had a sale on a few months ago that had better offers than a liquidation sale???? Doesn't sound right, does it?
DFS are still going! :lol:
warlock

Post by warlock »

went into the HG shop in hanger lane yesterday, there are some great bargains although some sizes are missing. but the guy was very polite considering. They probably havent ordered stock for a while so i expect sizes to be missing as other bargain hunters have already been in and took the popular sizes for sure.