high speed wobble

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
wando

high speed wobble

Post by wando »

Afternoon all,
I,ve just purchased a vtr to get me back on the road after an off last year and took it out for the first time and i,m abit concerned with the bars wobbling at high speed,i,ve been trying to find out info on this and there is many an explantion as to why,i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem,the tyres are new dunlops and the head bearing have just been done.thanks guys
AMCQ46

Re: high speed wobble

Post by AMCQ46 »

if you tell us where you live, perhaps some one can try it and tell you how it compares to a known good one.

could still be the steering head bearings if they are taper rollers and they have been over tightened. otherwise it is going to be badly balanced wheels or at worst a bent rim. you can get the last 2 checked at your local tyre shop
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

have the tyres been balanced?, are the wheels correctly aligned? head-bearings been done properly (OEM or Taper as they need different torque settings) - Wheel bearings okay?

and post some pics of your wobbly storm beastie!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
wando

Post by wando »

thanx lads the head bearing thing keeps popping up so think a trip to the garage in order,its ok 80 to 90mph but once round the 120 mark they give it some wobble,live in the northeast
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

which dunlops are they??
scott02464

high speed wobble

Post by scott02464 »

wando wrote:thanx lads the head bearing thing keeps popping up so think a trip to the garage in order,its ok 80 to 90mph but once round the 120 mark they give it some wobble,live in the northeast
Dude search on here for head bearing adjustment. It's very simple to do and not only will it save you money you will get to know your bike too.

Scott
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

also, first call - check your tyre pressures.

and when you get the wheel off next do the wheel bearings. only a few quid.
chances are its on the originals and theyre at least 10 years old.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just to through something else into the bag, Bar end weights. This can be an issue if they are too light, missing or missing one.
Dude search on here for head bearing adjustment. It's very simple to do and not only will it save you money you will get to know your bike too.
Totally agree.

Here you go http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=15681

Have Fun. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
wando

Post by wando »

thanks for all the info guys much appreciated,took it to a local guy who worked for honda dealership and he,s gona check all the known problems,also found out it has the wrong size front tyre on and the bar end weights were some crap aftermarket junk,hope to have it all sorted so i can get out on it soon,weather permitting