Full Exhaust Systems and Full Lowers

General Bike chat
BlackHawk

Full Exhaust Systems and Full Lowers

Post by BlackHawk »

Hey all! Greetings from across the pond!

Love my Superhawk (Firestorm to most of you) but I have a question I am hoping someone out there can answer.

I have a Pyramid Plastics belly pan - really a full lower - on my VTR and I now want to add a full exhaust system. Does anyone know if the Pyramid belly pan is compatible with a Yoshimura full system, or any other full system?

Sure hope someone out there has a good answer. I want the power the full system can provide but I don't want to go hacking on my lower. So far Pyramid Plastics has not answered any of my emails.

Thanks in advance for your help! Happy riding!
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Im guessing but - Shouldnt be a problem - any replacement system should follow the same routing as the standard pipes (well upto the swing arm anyway) I had a Pyramid belly pan for a while and that used to touch the standard header pipes at the rear edge anyway. Only problem with this was a slight buring smell form the fibreglass for the first couple of hundred miles!

Cheers
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Ive had a pyramid belly pan with a full Akrapovic system which fitted with no probs.
BlackHawk

Post by BlackHawk »

Thanks for your responses. I guess that short of someone posting who actually has both a Yosh full system and a Pyramid belly pan I will simply need to take my chances. Good thing the Yosh is such a great deal!

Hey BlackStorm! What are you, my British alter ego? :D

Anyway, just for posterity's sake, here is what I have found out about full systems and full lowers.

Mig, Two Brothers, Akrapovic, and Moriwaki current make full systems for the VTR, while M4 and Yoshimura formerly made these exhausts.

According to Two Brother's, their system is not directly compatible with the Sharkskinz lower - requiring a cutout at the first lower bend. They were unable to comment on the Pyramid lower. This confession was surprising since I have read authoritative accounts of professional race teams scraping the first header bend on the pavement during especially hard cornering. Damned odd that a company called Two Brother's RACING would market a product which REDUCES cornering ground clearance!

Next is Moriwaki. I have no information regarding compatibility with lowers. However, their header increases ground clearance at the first bend by rerouting the header such that a new oil pan - also made by Moriwaki - is required to accomodate the reroute. Also, their products - while certainly first rate - are race oriented and a fair bit more than I care to spend.

Next is Akrapovic and thanks to to Blackstorm it is known that their system is compatible with the Pyramid belly pan. Woo hoo!!!!!!! Let the torch of knowledge illuminate away the darkness of ignorance! Or whatever, anyway, the Akrapovic system while it would match my application is race oriented (read louder than I want) and also more than I care to spend by a factor of two.

Next was the Mig importer, who claimed to know nothing about lowers compatibility. That, coupled with rumors of excessive loudness, ruled them out right off.

Then their is M4, who made a full system years ago. According to the factory they only made a dozen or so of the systems and since I have not found one at any retailer it would be silly to pursue the inquiry further.

Which leads to Yoshimura - also a discontinued system - but one of which a few discounted examples may still be found. I'll let the curious know how it goes.

Wow! That was several hundred words longer than I intended. Thank you for the patience of those who have read this far. Damned good thing I type really fast or that could have taken a long time!