K&N filter and Microns

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mavar1ck

K&N filter and Microns

Post by mavar1ck »

Quick and easy question for someone in the know. My VTR has been on a dyno and tuned before i brought her. If I take out the K&N air filter and remove the unstamped Micron cans and replace with stock for the MOT will this affect the running of the engine? Does the K&N affect MPG? Last but not least she cut out in traffic yesterday while standing at a red light started straight away and hasn't done it since then. What could this be? Read other peoples forums about restricted vent pipe, battery etc will check tomorrow. Just in case it matters had just filled up with fuel. Any help appreciated.
Brian :cool2
AMCQ46

Re: K&N filter and Microns

Post by AMCQ46 »

Easy one first. The cutting out is fairly normal, I would just increase the idle a bt more and it will be fine.

The bike will be a bit richer when you take off the pipes and filter but it will run ok, just less miles tothe tank,but don't understand why you would take the filter out for the mot?
AMcQ
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

Thanks, idle already quite high around 1300rpm. I thought the standard filter would give me more mpg obviously got this the wrong way round. Exhaust too noisey for MOT i think plus going around europe in 4 weeks so best to be as quiet as a mouse especially around the frogs. She has only done 12k miles so probably due for some new plugs? Should i check the battery charging circuit etc?

Cheers Brian
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Show the frogs you MOT paperwork and they'll cave in.
If it's legal in the UK you can use it anywhere in the EEC.

New plugs (fit Iridium ones) are a good idea.
Get the carbs balanced, but leave the K+N in situ.

Either fit the std exhausts for the MOT and then swap them back, or find an MOT tester who's willing to pass them as is. Ask first at the local station- some are ok, some want to have a quiet life.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies in this thread. I've just got a VTR and have nearly the exact same questions as these. I was worried about the cutting out thing (it's only done it once :) ). Nice one
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs