General Bike chat
vtrjock

Rear shock mounting alignment..?

Post by vtrjock »

Checkout this pic....something amiss here, or is this normal? :?:

firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

That'll happen if you have a spacer installed at the top of the shock as the flat edge of the to of the shock is no longer held in line with the frame by the frame itself! That's one of the things they don't tell you about when fitting a spacer.

My advice would be to dich the spacer and drop your yokes by about 5-8mm down the fork legs. If you want the bike to turn in better then change to a different profile of tyre.

Al.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

what are we looking at ?
is this a picture of a standard shock with a spacer added to change the ride height ??
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

yep
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

It's extremely difficult to torque up the top mounting bolt without twisting the body of shock. If you talk to Rodger at Revolution it's one thing he'll advise you to ditch as it's not needed if your suspension is setup and working ok.

Al.
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

I presume then, that this spacer was put in to either (a)quicken the steering or (b) to sit the tail up a bit for cosmetic purposes (hey, I know a lot of EXUP owners!) correct?
Having been a bit concerned with the slow speed turn in and general stability of the bike at these speeds (coupled with a pretty worn front)I fitted a set of 207RRs (as recomended by fellow stormers on here), this gave a total transformation including quickening the steering.Love em.
I don't really have enough time to explore the upper edges of the bike's handling limits at the moment (fellow sprog rearers will appreciate this) so my next question is whether this spacer setup and it's inherant twisting is unsafe to any degree? If it's dodgy I'll whip it out now
Thanks
Andy.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

vtrjock wrote:I presume then, that this spacer was put in to either (a)quicken the steering or (b) to sit the tail up a bit for cosmetic purposes (hey, I know a lot of EXUP owners!) correct?
Having been a bit concerned with the slow speed turn in and general stability of the bike at these speeds (coupled with a pretty worn front)I fitted a set of 207RRs (as recomended by fellow stormers on here), this gave a total transformation including quickening the steering.Love em.
I don't really have enough time to explore the upper edges of the bike's handling limits at the moment (fellow sprog rearers will appreciate this) so my next question is whether this spacer setup and it's inherant twisting is unsafe to any degree? If it's dodgy I'll whip it out now
Thanks
Andy.
AS you've quite rightly pointed out the spacer is suppost to make the bike turn in quicker. What you have noticed as wekk is that the tyre choice will have more of an affect on the handeling than the spacer.

I felt that the twisting of such a vital component would not be a good thing especially with the loading that must be on the shock so I took mine out. Just altering my riding style improved my cornering and the bike felt more stable without it.

Al.
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Ok Al thanks, it does sound a bit suspect.