I'm off my header!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete

I'm off my header!!!

Post by Pete »

When doing some recent front cylinder work I managed to shear off both header bolts down to about a half inch. Wasn't actually my fault as they were corroded to bits and even though I'd doused 'em liberally with WD, they just shat it when I tried(gently) to loosen them up. Tried heating up the remaining part with a propane torch, but couldn't budge them...

Now, I left it into my local bikeshop and they tried to get 'em out but coudnt. They've put a bit of a fix on it but it may not hold.

Any of you boffins got any bright ideas on how I can get 'em out?
Peter Brennan.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Had that happen to me, not on the storm but meny moons ago on my old CBR1000.
File the head of the stud flat, get a small drill and make sure you are very carefull and drill a pilot hole dead straight up the centre of the stud.
Then get a slightly bigger drill and drill it again. keep going with slightly bigger drill bits untill you can either collapse whats left of the stud or if you are lucky you can turn the stud out with an "easy out".
It's a sod of a job and you might have to fit a helicoil thread in after you are done.
Good Luck
Pete.l
Oh...and for gawds sake don't force an easy out and snap it inside the hole :oops: :oops: :oops: that makes it twice as hard :roll:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

who ever made easyout's should be shot, and shot again just to make sure.

Yeah, how much stud it now sticking out????

Del.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheers Pete!

Del,

There's about half an inch of stud on both of 'em.

I got a guy to weld two bolts on the ends, which seemed like it was going to do the trick, but one of them came off when I was tightening up the nuts.

I've got some pics lying around of the sheared heads and the temp repair, I'll post 'em soon as I can get them uploaded.
Peter Brennan.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Get him to weld a nut onto the end of the broken stud and use that to get it out, or try a stud extractor.
Rich.