Sold the R6 so........

General Bike chat
Craig

Sold the R6 so........

Post by Craig »

Hi, I've got someone coming for my R6 tomorow.. fingers crossed he'll definetly take it!

I wanted a storm for a bit, test rode one, liked it but eventually ruled it out due to the crap mileage etc, then I decided on a hornet, which was going to be "the" bike of choice until tonight when I found something out..... basically I only really wanted it because I want something cheaper and more suited to commuting than my expensive R6 ever could be.. hornet seemed ideal but I found out it has a tank similar in size to the VTR and only does about 100 till reserve... so I'm thinking maybe I should go for the storm after all 8O Not quite as practical, but I'm sure the sound/looks will make up for that 8) :lol:

I've never ever ever (!!) got a clear answer... What sort of miles to a tank can I expect from this bike, what can I do to improve that? It's not the "be all and end all" but I would soon get bored of 60miles to a tank. My R6 only seems to do 135 miles to a tank 8O so I would be happy with about 120 to a tank for the VTR, preferably more! It will mostly be used for commuting to work, anything long distance that I need to do, general use, and summer rideouts...

And lastly, I've been flicking back over the posts on here and seen a few of you have renthal bars on it... now... being that my FUN bike is a WR400 supermoto (soon to become a KTM :wink:) I quite like the idea of renthals on the storm.. would make commuting easier and I'm quite partial to stunting 8) :twisted: Has anyone got some pictures of renthal bars fitted to the storm?? Does it handle ok etc etc?

Many thanks
2001 Wr400 Supermoto | www.r6-yzf.co.uk
Craig

Post by Craig »

:lol:

Thing is, my commute is a mere 7 miles a day... I don't NEED big miles to a tank, I don't know why it worries me so much, the WR only does about 60 to a whole tank if you go slowly 8O :lol:

What's wrong with the R6? :wink: They are nice bikes but very tarty, very expensive to crash, very difficult to keep clean and painful to commute on - weekend warriors bike only me thinks! Bet it's brilliant on track though!

I'm only 19 so should be fit and healthy not acting like a old man who needs a Goldwing to be comfortable :lol: I did like the VTR I test rode, it was "sorted" suspension and brake wise though, I hear they need a bit of modding to get the best from them 8)

So, 120 miles to a tank isn't a neccessity, but if, from reading old posts, it's just a case of a new air filter and dyno set up then I'd happily go for the extra miles to a tank :wink:
Craig

Post by Craig »

Well..

Just gotta find a firestorm :wink: After a nice red one, already got a few ideas on stuff.. R&G crash bungs, lower belly pan :wink: seat cowl, carbon fibre MIG high levels :grin:

Can't wait 8)
Craig

Post by Craig »

VTR1000KAZ wrote:gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight.....wont somebody help me take the darkness awy!!!!!!!!!!!

or............

Money money money!!!!!!!
RED?????????????????????????????????????
Yellow is the only colour !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The cash isn't mine... yet.... I know the bloke from a forum I used to go on, and have met him at a bike meet... he's very serious about buying it, knows all the details on it, has forked out £40 for a HPI and is travelling down to Portsmouth from London tomorow.. I'm 99% sure he's going to buy it. 8)

I like red :twisted:
tony.wilde1

craig

Post by tony.wilde1 »

hey pal welcome to the premiere vtr site....just a word in yer ear mate...whatever vtr you get make sure its had the cam chain tensioners done recently ok?look through the threads about the misery theyve caused to loads of once proud owners...so much grief in fact a few have already got rid of there bikes.goodluck with the purchase!!cheers :)

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/Vtr4.jpg

pic of mine with renthals.^^
Max

Post by Max »

I love my storm, and wouldn't part with her for the world!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont care if she only does 50 to the gallon..............
Kaz I wish mine would only do 50 to the gallon, the best I've ever seen is about 40 !!!

Max
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Well it is possible, last year HULL to LANDS END got exactly 50.1 mpg on the return trip.But only one one tankfull.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Max

Post by Max »

Well it is possible, last year HULL to LANDS END got exactly 50.1 mpg on the return trip.But only one one tankfull.
Thats cheating as thats all down hill !!! :)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Well the R6 has gone now :cry:

Guess it's just finding a nice RED storm in decent condition for a decent price :?

Really want mine to look pretty much the same as this, it's VERY nice 8)

Only I would get the wheels powdercoated black and a dark tint double bubble screen and high level carbon pipes :twisted: :twisted:
grinner

Post by grinner »

Be warned Craig, if you're only doing 7 miles commute, you'll get even less out of the tank.

But 7 miles later you'll still be grinning ear to ear!

Good luck hunting...
Craig

Post by Craig »

I guess... if it is really a big problem then I can always sell it and get something else... only way to find out if it's going to piss me off or not is to buy one anyway :twisted:

Does it only do 100 or so miles due to teh size of the tank or does it just DRINK petrol?? I hope it wont cost a FORTUNE in petrol 8O :lol:
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

my daily trip to work is only 5 miles, I get about 85 to 98 to the tank (16lt)
But boy is it fun on the way home, slip roads, roundabouts, traffic light grid, up goes the front real easy, not too high no need to show off but pull off in 2nd, ride the wave feels so good.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

my commute was just shy of 10 miles each way.
In winter i could get about 120-130 miles for a tank full
In summer it was around 100 miles from a tank full :twisted:

Robb
Craig

Post by Craig »

It's proving harder than I thought to find the right storm! There were LOADS on ebay etc that were perfect, until I actually got the cash :lol:
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Mine will be up for sale in the new year, tis red aswell, Revolution modded forks and a penske in the back. Dyno jet & K&N filter, 108bhp on Rogers dyno.
Just got to put the brakes back together.

Robb