How do you embed video on forum

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
VTRDark

How do you embed video on forum

Post by VTRDark »

I'm having a problem embedding video in forum posts, specifically YouTube though I expect we can use the youtube tag to embed from any other sites. Only if it worked :thumbdown:

This is really bugging me because I am (well others call me it) a computer geek, though I stay well away from those Microshite thing's so don't even go there people, I am a Mac man only! NO not Pacman, a Mac man :lol:

On a serious note, I have been onto youtube and tried using the <iframe> embed code they supply and placed it between the youtube tags here on the forum. I tried using the old <object> embed code, I've tried using the straight url from youtube, I've tried the http link youtube has directly under the Like, add to, share buttons. It's driving me crazy :x It would be far simpler to write straight forward html/xhtml. The point of php and the tags that forums supply is (theoretically) to make things more simple for users who are not computer literate. ie not hard coders and to input data/material directly into the forum databases. Why does it not work, banging my head against the wall now :confused

Sorry having a bit of a moan there, :roll: Don't like it when computers beat me, but I shall take it as a challenge and I will win in the end! But in the meantime, while I try alternatives if there is anyone out there who can help me out it would be much appreciated. php is not a language I am too familiar with or understand , it's something I should learn one day.

help please, thanks. Maybe I should have a :beer: now or coffee in my case.

While I'm here Admin can we have a smiley for coffee added to the list?

Cheers

(:-})

<edit> how about this one here Image goes well with the beer. Maybe whack an alpha channel on it and save it as an png24 so there is no background or change the background colour to the same as the forum post background colour and save as an animate gif</edit>
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Re: How do you embed video on forum

Post by Wicky »

Code: Select all

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaxucrs2ZrU[/youtube]
Found you have to keep the YouTube URL simple and strip out the extra '&feature=g-all-c&context=G27adb2aFAAAAAAAANAA' part of the URL, and copy paste it between the youtube tags

[youtube][/youtube]

Mac man also :) *secret handshake*
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks wickey, nice to hear from fellow Mac users.

I still can not get this dam youtube to work. I have just noticed that under my smilies that [flash] is off this must have somthing to do with it. According to my User Control Panel prefs I am able to view flash. That will be when I want to, as I locally control when to allow Flash via a Firefox plugin. :lol:

Have I not got privaliges as a new user or somthing, [flash] is off Do I need so many posts before it's switched on, Mmmm

here's the youtube vid I'm trying to insert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A8VfwLFQnrA#!
Could you give it a go and paste the broken down version of the url here for me, then I shall insert that in my post and give it a go. So if it works for you but not me, that will tell me I don't have the privaliges to i nsert Flash in posts yet.

Cheers

(:-})
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

the 'player embed' part in the URL might not work with the youtube tags used by phpbb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR-iFBeN_v8
This should work

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Rich.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yippeee :) that's works and I understand now. Well done Whicky :clap: :clap: you are a star :thumbup: So the php side of things takes care of the embedding!

cupasoop I did do a search beforehand to see if there was any info out there but did not come across that one. Shall bookmark for future reference. Still don't know why the [flash] is off though and how that may affect things :confused but all is good and I'm up and running now.

Thanks (:-})