had it in bits......

General Bike chat
elmer fud

had it in bits......

Post by elmer fud »

while i've been off for xmas I decided to do some routine and some not so routine maintainance.
The bikes 2 years old so I replaced all the brake fluid and made sure everything was working as it should be.
Result: loads more feel and a non spongy front brake.
I also replaced the fork oil.
When I stripped the forks I measured the oil height to find that both legs were approx 2" low on oil (according to the manual).
When I drained the legs, the stuff that came out was more like rusty water than oil. This was no surprise because my SV was the same when I did the forks on that.
I replaced this with Motul medium (10/15w) and I now find that the damping adjusters actually work gradually rather than being stiff or soft and nothing in between.
Replacing fork and brake fluid costs under £10 (if you do it yourself) and is one of the best mods that you can do to a bike that is a couple of years old.
I would say if your a bit thrifty (tight) it is worth doing this before you send your forks to anyone for conversion so that you can weigh up what the standard forks should work like to start with.
Everything else I did was how I expected it to be.
Well worth doing imho
Take it to bits, put back together, nothing left in box...woohoo!
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

Thanks for the post - very useful info.
Mine is 20months old now, so will have a go at what you did prior to the 2 years being up.

Cheers,
Stormcloud :D