Why did you choose the storm

General Bike chat
MissEd

Re: Why did you choose the storm

Post by MissEd »

Fancied something different
Could not afford an SP1/2
Had been on the back of a pals Aprillia Bueno 1000 v twin (fun).
Like Honda's
Not too tall for me
karenvtr

Post by karenvtr »

Always liked hondas for a start and id owned a few my mate jamie had tge storm i have now and i really loved it ... he sold it and bought an sp1 at the,time i couldnt afford to buy it off him and it went to a buyer in fife ...sadly jamie was killed on his sp a few weeks later :(... (RIP Jamie ) ...about six months later i saw his old storm on ebay we bid but missed it ... Id always mooned after this bike and my husband was determind to bring it back to blackburn ... He contacted the buyer who turned out to be a trader ... He sold it back to us a tad over wat it was worth tbh ...we drove up in car and trailered her home ... It was a very eventfull journey !! But we got back safe and sound .. ive never ever rode a bike and thought id never sell until i rode this one i bloody love it ... It looks and,sounds great handles well and turns me into a hooligan with a massive grin everytime i ride it ..and then theres the sentimental value too
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

In '98 I decided to treat myself to a bike having sold a vfr750 a few years before

At that time the 'blade was the bike to have so off I goes to the local honda dealer to have a go

After half hour took it back very disappointed, just been out on the bike everyone is raving about and...........nothing :eh:

It was great...................but didn't do anything for me

The guy suggested the storm..........100 yards down the road grinning like a cheshire cat :D :D :D :D

Still got the same bike
Bigtiddle

Post by Bigtiddle »

I've went back to a Storm recently after departing the V twins to have a Yamaha Fz1 for a few years. Lovely comfortable bike but couldn't justify £5000 sitting in the garage.
I paid £1100 for my T reg Storm and it's bl**dy brilliant. I found it on Ebay, fairly local. The guy I bought it from had a reserve of £1250 but it didn't make that and I was the highest bidder so got it. He is a worker at the Perkins engine plant in Peterborough and did a pair of Storms up during a period of absence from work. The bike is in brilliant condition and was completely standard. i'm making it mine now as you can see in the Pimp My Ride section.
This is my 3rd Storm over the years, I've had 2 TL1000S's and a TL1000R, an SV1000s but the honda is the best V Twin. :D
You never grow too old to scare a motorist with the sound of your cans
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

The SOUND :thumbup:
Along with a semi-skinny clad narrow throwabout frame. :wink:
Bliss.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

seen it in a dealers and thought giz a go on that,test road it loved it bought it,never had another bike as long as this one and have no desire to get rid,a classic in the making and sounds awesome :thumbup:
budd

Post by budd »

I chose the Honda out of necessity, basically it was the only bike I could ride. Back in the early 90s I had a few big getoffs several resulting in broken bones a broken wrist, tibs and fibs etc but the real bad one smashed my left femur to bits the other breaks had been simple to repair but my femur was shattered at the knee end after 3 months in hospital and several operations I was left with a very mangled leg, an inch or so shorter than the eight and very limited movement (flexion) at the knee joint, so much so I thought my bike riding days were behind me, I could still ride my CR250 crosser (because you stand up most of the time) but riding a road bike seemed unfeasible, OK I could have bought some Harley like chop thing but leather chaps and waist coats aren’t my thing, it had to be a sports bike or nothing when the VTR came out in ’97 I thought I could make that work for me.
So I bought a brand new one in Red, not really knowing if I could ride it properly, anyway I removed the N/S foot peg and gear linkage fabricated a plate that effectively moved the foot peg forward I then tried various different gear levers until I found one that fitted (KX 125 IIRC), these mods allows me to ride the bike, it is a compromise as I can’t move my body weight about as I’d like and my left foot does touch the road quite a bit to lack of ground clearance but I manage and it’s either this or nothing so I’ll put up with it.

The thing is if I hadn’t had my leg issues I wouldn’t have gone for a VTR, my first choice would probably have been an R1, but I think I would have missed out because the VTR turned out to be a really good bike, OK perhaps not as good a ‘sports bike’ as an R1 but a great ‘real world’ bike and all in all I’m glad I bought one.
When I threw it up the road a week short of its second birthday the plan was to replace it with another one, until a pal lost his life over the Strines riding a ZX6 and at that point I decided to retire from bikes and bought a TVR, but the bug was still there so a couple of years ago I bought another VTR to replace the first one I’d totaled nearly 10 yrs previously, and I’m really enjoying the experience and the VTR is still a great bike.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .