Fairing off / streetfighter questions

General Bike chat
stormcloud

Fairing off / streetfighter questions

Post by stormcloud »

I'd like to put a Hornet or similar type of bar in place of my stock clip ons, to raise the height and give more leverage. This is unlikely to work with the stock fairing and screen.
I'm worried about heat x-change through the side mounted radiators if I take the fairing off.
Has anyone done it on a daily ridden machine in a warm climate??? Did you have any problems???
Eventually I'd like to try mounting just the lower part of a fairing - the bit that creates the -ve pressure and draws air through the radiator (I think it would look mean, too), but $ are scarce as I'm out of work for the moment so purchasing fairing bits is not an option.

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers, Stormcloud
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

there is a slightly damaged fairing (yellow) on e.bay at the mo......

would be a cheap option...
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

My uncle rides a tl1000s and did the same thing. He didn't remove the fairing though, he just carefully trimmed it so the bars would fit under it. Just another option to think about.

Scott
Fluffy

Leave the fairing on ;-)

Post by Fluffy »

I have just done it, the image below is not my bike but mine is shaping up in pretty much the same form.

ABM Top yolk conversion
Renthal Streetfighter unbraced bars

Just incase I have cocked the image up, you can find it on the German VTR site

http://www.vtr-forum.de/galerie/albun47/aab

Lots of germans go for flat bars (aka SBK over there) and when I lived over there did the same to my Thunderace. The thing is you get comfort and can still hustle with the best of them, even more so on tight twisty roads.

Cheers

Fluffy

I see no Firestorm......
stormcloud

Post by stormcloud »

Thanks lots, people.
I think trimming fairing + screen is what I'll go for, but not with my originals - I'll try and find the sides at wreckers, then get another aftermarket screen.
Essexbloke, thanks for the tip, but I'm in Australia and having just put new tyres on (010/020) will have to wait until I'm working again.
Scott + Fluffy, good suggestions. I love that photo from the German site.

Fluffy, did you have to get new brake/throttle lines??
Are you using bar end weights??

Let us know how you find the conversion after a few miles.

Thanks again, Stormcloud
Fluffy

Stormcloud

Post by Fluffy »

Yes to bar end weights m8, no to extended cables / lines. the standards fit mine and go lock to lock without problems. Its surprising to see just how wide standard storm bars are compared to a pair of Renthals.

Renthal streetfighter bars are a couple of inches narrower than full on MX bars.

The whole conversion including bar ends, bars, top yolk conversion, renthals and grips runs to about £160. I will let you know how it goes and will post some pix when I am finished

Cheers

Fluffy
I see no Firestorm......