Workshop in Yorkshire

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Flatline

Re: Workshop in Yorkshire

Post by Flatline »

So next thing is to decide on a date

The next weekends are 3/4 Sept, 10/11 Sept or 17/18 Sept

Any of those any good for you guys:?:
darkember

Post by darkember »

17/18 & 24/25 are not good for me oncall :thumbdown: Also where would it be happening?? I come from sleepy South Wales where we can leave our front doors unlocked :D :D. 10th & 11th would be good
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Hi gone a bit quiet guys

posted a few dates up, any takers?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

:lol: :lol: dont let the grass grow do you! :lol: :lol:
AMcQ
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Nope :D Really keen to meet other owners, been a few years now riding alone :cry:

Reckon a workshop will be great fun
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Been away on hols, not ignoring you, honest!

Only options for me would be Sep 17/18, as I'm off to the Silverstone BSB w/e the following weekend.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

So we have 17/18 for Tony

10/11 for Darkmember

We have 24/25 if either of you can do that?

I can do 17/18

What about you other guys?
budd

Post by budd »

Flatline wrote:Nope :D Really keen to meet other owners, been a few years now riding alone :cry:

Reckon a workshop will be great fun
I've missed this thread as we've been away to the Manx, just got back infact the storm is still in the van!!!
But I'm deffo up for this, as I too would lke to meet a few fellow owners, and possibliy learn abit more about mods etc, any of the dates mentioned should be OK I'm onlyround the corner in Ossett.

BTW flatline, as I said I'm not far from you so if you want to drop in for a brew and a chat your more than welcome, I'll PM you a contact no if required, just let me know. :D
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

So,who can do the 17/18 then?

Budd has mentioned he can offer the use of his place as well, complete with loads of tools and equipment

So its either Miztaziggy's or Budd's place

A sleepover can be sorted

For me it's cct's, carb balancing and probably new fork springs etc

Who else,and what's your list look like?
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

If anyone is coming from far far away there is some room to doss down at my place if the camping doesn't sound too tempting
darkember

Post by darkember »

I probably can change to the 17/18 & would defo need to crash somewhere on the Saturday night. Its a long way from South Wales. But it would be well worth coming not only to meeting you guys as well as removing the fear about tinkering with the delicate parts of the bike. :thumbup: :thumbup:

My list would include:

CCT check,
valve clearance check,
carb balance,
head stock check.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I can do that weekend.

My garage is available, but, as I mentioned, I think it might be too small to do this. If the weather is bad, I think we might struggle in anyone's garage as who is going to want to work outside in the rain? I can organise a 3x3 gazebo if we do need one for this, but think that it would be better held somewhere with a bigger garage.

We will need to get things finalised for this pretty quickly though.

We will need:

Someone with good knowledge and someone who has done their valves etc and can lend a hand
A place to do it
A list of people definitely coming
Somewhere for members coming from further afield to sleep - Flatline has offered some room, and I can offer my spare bedroom to someone if needed.
Lots of tools and possibly some odd spare bits / nuts and bolts etc
Carb balancing tool

Also, people deciding that they want to attend will need to order parts they will need for this and make sure that they get them BEFORE this workshop, eg

Manual CCTs
Fork springs / fork oil / fork seals
Steering head bearings and dust seals
Shims for doing valves - though someone has a communal set or something?
Rear suspension bearings
Wheel bearings
Any other bits you plan on changing/replacing
darkember

Post by darkember »

All my work will be mostly checks apart from the shims if I need any. If the head stock needs doing it will be done over the winter but i will know how to tackle it. I have all the kit to setup my pipes for the carb balance minus the balancing tool itself. The big job for me here is the valve clearances. Plus having a friendly ear to recognise any odd noises.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

darkember wrote:All my work will be mostly checks apart from the shims if I need any. If the head stock needs doing it will be done over the winter but i will know how to tackle it. I have all the kit to setup my pipes for the carb balance minus the balancing tool itself. The big job for me here is the valve clearances. Plus having a friendly ear to recognise any odd noises.
AFAIK you wont be able to look at your head bearing and tell if it needs doing, you will feel it knocking when you brake and that will tell you it needs to be done.

When I took mine apart to change mine for tapers, I couldnt see anything wrong with the old ball bearing one. The inner and outer race were both unmarked and the ball bearings were all free and still covered in clean white grease.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

At best I will be a maybe for this.

We have a busy month and the 17th is the only weekend free, so all the jobs will end up needing done then so little chance of taking 2 days out :(

As Miztaziggy says, you will need a good size garage, and a gazebo, all the key tools, plus a few paddock stands (an ABBA stand would be good for the head bearings), the team shim kit (which Tony has?) and most importantly, some one who has done the jobs before to coach and mentor.

Get the workspace and the mentor worked out first and the other bits will be easy.
AMcQ