CCTs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtryorks

Re: CCTs

Post by vtryorks »

My CCT's are stop modded. I also have an SP1 front end and god knows what other mods.

Why do I mention that?

Well, its not my CCT's that have the bike in the garage next week, its something unknown thats causing it to fire on one cylinder only at lower RPM.

I say this because..if you have a nice running motor, the few quid spent on your CCT's, especially to manuals, will remove from your mind a potentially serious problem. The other "trimmings" like modded front ends etc, dont matter.

I'm trying not to complain about the VTR, not at all, even though I'm faced with a significant bill for repairs (due to previous owner neglect I think). What I try to focus on, with help from the guys here of course, is that I've got a HELL of a good bike, for absolute peanuts.

No matter what you buy these days, even a year old bike, it will probably need something doing to it. On the great scheme of things, the CCT's are low ball in cost terms and at least a known issue.

I paid £1600 for my VTR, I think if I get a sweet bike for £2000 or so, with a lot of work put in myself, I'll be happier than a pig in the proverbial.

I get such a beaming smile from the noise of ONE cylinder....once I've got it sorted and firing on both, I might need to change my pants a few times a day!

PS. Might be a good idea to check your regulator/rectifier at the same time. Thats another major issue with the early VTR's (later ones I think, had heat sinks for heat dissipation). Again, a reasonably cheap fix, DIY it.

PPS. I'm a complete and utter newbie at anything mechanical and I managed to strip the rear of my bike to the sub frame, de-rust, paint and rewire it. Its a lot of fun, too! and...it worked when I reassembled it..first time!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Griff have a look at the thread in the workshop section. Print it out and read it through as you look over the bike and identify the parts. Then be honest with yourself - Do you have some spanners and can you cross the road without falling over! If the answer to these questions is yes then you should be ok doing it yourself fella. I did mine in about 2 hours, just following the step by step guide.
If you find a thread on here by griffo (Aussie member) about a T shirt for V twin riders, there is a response on there from Oregon parts(or something v similar) I am sure he sells krieger manual CCT's. There is a guy on E Bay called the Pont who sells them and I have Rider on a Storms manuals fitted to mine. I think ROAS is out of action at the moment but might be worth a shout.
To add a little something Bazza converts the Honda auto's to manual and they are a lot cheaper than the various APE types.
Sorry to dribble on, hope at least some of it helps.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
klx678

Post by klx678 »

Griff, I tried to reply to a PM, but I don't have enough posts to do so.

I put the tensioners I make on ebay to see what would happen, but I added a bit to cover fees. A direct order saves $4 usd my email is mkrieger002@columbus.rr.com email me if you want information on the kit. It is a total of $73.95 anywhere outside the US/Canada including shipping. Has gaskets with it. I use PayPal for speed, ease and safety for both of us. About a 10-12 day delivery.

The ebay results were boggling... the CBR demand was strong along with some VTRs. I got plowed under, but am recovering. Ran out of nearly everything, but back up again when the gasket order arrives tomorrow. Hit the site or email direct and save a bit in the long run.

Regardless of how you do the tensioners, do them. New OEMs (risking the front one possibly going again) or manual. Just make sure the front one is dealt with. For my money and peace of mind, it would be manual tensioners. With what I've experienced, seen, and read that's the ticket.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

All,Klx

After I looked earlier, the new CCTs are, as feared the auto ones.

I will get in touch with KLX by email and also get advice off Bazza to see what he has.

Bugger! There is now that doubt of how long it will be until it gives me problems.

Good thing is I can't ride for at least another 6 weeks, so no pressure.

Thanks for advice so far.

Griff.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

After much thinking and advice (from you guys and my bro in law), I have gone for the option to swap to manuals asap.

I have contacted Bazza, he seems ace, can get them for a week or two, but also contacted Mark Krieger: http://www.kriegercamchaintensioners.com/ who is also ace. He is sending them to me with all the stuff you need, claiming on export paperwork that it is a bit cheaper and they are replacements for a previous order, so all in all hopefully won't get stung for import tax, he is charging £46 delivered, and doesn't need the old (newish) ones back. So I'm offering to send Bazza my old (newish) ones to him for anybody's future requirements. Ta for all the advice. Oh, one more thing, I take it once they are in, they don't need much attention? Like a service item, just check tension every now and again?

Griff :o
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Guys, just wanted to share with you that I've received my shiney new manual CCTs. Ready to be fitted next week by my local mobile mechanic Simon.

I ordered my CCTs from Klx678 from this site (http://www.kriegercamchaintensioners.com) and delivered cost £46- didn't get stung for any import tax neither (bonus).

Anyway, I'm safe now from the CCTs curse!!!

Griff :thumbup:
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Is the mobile mechanic a friend? How much is he going to charge to do it?

Why dont you try and do it yourself? It will take you about 4 hours maximum, even if you dont really know what you are doing, like I didnt, and really isnt that hard.

In fact, the hardest bit was removing the fuel tank and pulling off the fuel hoses. If you need some more detail on the instructions in the workshop, let me know and ill try to help and provide a bit more detail on each section for people like me, who dont know what they are doing before they start.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Mizta, thanks fir that. The mobile mechanic does charge - he runs a small business, based in Thame Oxfordshire- I have found him trustworthy and reliable so far. He will charge £44 - an hours labour. I've got to let him do it as I'm crook at the moment, unable to walk/stand more than 10 mins due to a broken back (though I'd love to do it myself!).

Thanks for your thoughts and I'll let you know how it goes!

Griff. :roll:
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Oh dear, that's not good mate...hope you get well soon, and hope it wasnt a bike accident that caused the broken back :eh:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Let's see if he can get the inspection cover out......
Only another £8 or so if not.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.