Sheared studs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: Sheared studs

Post by tony.mon »

Just screw in a couple of stainless bolts, with threadlock, then cut the heads off.
No rust issues, and if you use stainless dome nuts with plenty of copperslip they undo no trouble next time.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Sheared studs

Post by Miztaziggy »

I have just read another stud sheared post similar to mine, so for anyone struggling to remove their studs...try this

First try filing a flat edge and getting a pair of mole grips on tight.

Hit it with a hammer as you try to turn gently.

This one of mine came loose.

If that doesn't work, as with my second one where the bolt showing was too short to grip, I bought a dremmel cutting wheel, thinnest I could, the cut round the collar the stud is in. You only need to take off 2mm of it, as this will be the part the stud is stuck in. Cut round the entire collar and when the dremmel starts to spark, stop and move round as it only sparks when you hit the metal stud. It wont spark as you cut through the aluminium block.

Once you have gone right round, get your mole grips on it and turn and it should come out easily, bringing the section of the collar with it.

This should work even if the stud is not showing as it sheared right on the point it enters the block.

When you put your new studs in, it will look like this

Bottom one is the one that had been cut out...

As you can see, if you only take off 2mm or so, there is still plenty of the hole in the block to take a new stud.

Don't forget to put copper grease on new studs before you install.
darrenb

Post by darrenb »

maybe a dumb question but has anyone tried stud extractors , i mean the type that look like a socket from halfords , recently i removed the snapped studs from a firestorm and a thundercat with only 8mm of the stud showing
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I had read that some people had tried them and had success, but others had snapped the extractor in the stud and then been screwed since you probably cant then drill it out.
darrenb

Post by darrenb »

no this type dont screw in they are like a socket and go over the top of the stud and as you turn it anti clockwise with a ratchet it tightens around the stud and unscrews it
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

hammer always does it for me... with either a slot cut in the top & flat screwy / impact driver or a good pair of grips if theres a bit showing.

unless theyve snapped going in cos the bolt has bottomed out, in which case you're nackered lol!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
4stroker

Post by 4stroker »

behold the best toll in the world for removing things with no grip

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CFMQ8wIwAA

the more its stuck the more it grips

priceless.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

4stroker, those are the things that Darrenb is on about, and I tried one of those. It was a bit bigger than those look though, but same idea, off centre thing with a centre piece with a gripping outside edge....suffice to say it didnt work and that's why I ended up getting out the dremmel.
darrenb

Post by darrenb »

these are the ones i was on about have a mechanism inside
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165572
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Can /i thank you all :D

Despite a lot of soaking in fluids various the past few weeks, needless to say first one sheared yesterday. Will follow in your footsteps Tiggy