***WARNING*** BANKERS DRAFT FRAUD***

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I expect most of you already know about the Bankers Draft Fraud that seems to be going around again at the moment, especially targeting sellers in Bike Trader/Auto trader. But just in case you're not aware of it, as in the case of a mate of mine only this week, who very nearly got his fingers burnt with this scam here are the details:-

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/sec ... _fraud.htm

**EDIT**
Okay that link explaining the scam is no longer available from the met police. A quick explanation of the scam is, don't trust a Bankers Draft. Years ago a Bankers Draft was as good as cash, that is no longer the case. Even though a bank can allow you to bank it, and all appears to be well with the cash in your account the bank at a later date, could be a number of weeks, can tell you that the funds were not there in the first place. That could leave you well and truly stuffed.

So unless banks have tightened up on this problem, don't trust a bankers draft any more than you would a cheque which could bounce.

Chris.
Jaglifter

Re: ***WARNING*** BANKERS DRAFT FRAUD***

Post by Jaglifter »

There is also a pretty convincing Paypal scam, which i received yesterday.

Its an email which looks like its from paypal saying that you've just paid some geazer a substantial amount of money. It invites you to log onto Paypal to cancel, through the link provided, if you want to revoke it.

Bit obvious when you think about it, but perhaps not if you are naife or pissed!
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i was warned by a friend about a fone scam going round atm.
you get a card posted through your door saying an attempt was made to deliver a parcel by MDS.
call this number.

when you call the number you are asked to press options, like a genuine automated service.
by pressing, you are accepting a premium service and will be billed £350 :o

this is not illegal either lol - be warned!

another one - not really a scam, but pissed me right off, and a workmate just found out he's been had too....

Get your 'free' experian credit report..... blah blah blah...
you sign up for it, secure site etc, looks very genuine...
credit expert it's called...
sure, you get your free credit report and can check as many times as you want.
but months later you will find you are being billed for this service, direct from your credit card or bank account.
i got billed £160 before i realised.
it's always nice to pay for something you don't want.
i rang up to complain and demand a refund, but was told no chance, the small print clearly says the 'free' bit is a month trial and if you do not cancel you will be automatically billed every month.

beware lol! :mad2
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/sec ... _fraud.htm

Wow, those shipping agents are complete crooks!
And I thought Bankers were bad......

Mind you, I'd have thought that your average ship cost more than that anyway.
Probably to do with the increased risk from Piracy these days.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

benny hedges wrote:i was warned by a friend about a fone scam going round atm.
you get a card posted through your door saying an attempt was made to deliver a parcel by MDS.
call this number.

when you call the number you are asked to press options, like a genuine automated service.
by pressing, you are accepting a premium service and will be billed £350 :o

this is not illegal either lol - be warned!

This is a spoof. No premium rate service of this type exists anywhere.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Zakalwe wrote:

This is a spoof. No premium rate service of this type exists anywhere.
quote from bbc -
Warning over parcel delivery scam
Residents in Dorset are being warned of a telephone scam telling people they have been sent a digital camera.
A large number of people have complained to Dorset County Council's trading standards after they received a delivery notice.

The card tells them they have been sent a parcel containing a digital camera, which is awaiting collection.

But the cost of the six-minute premium rate call to arrange delivery of the item works out at almost £10.

Be wary of anything suggesting you dial premium rate numbers which begin 090

Ivan Hancock, Dorset County Council
The card reads: "PDS Parcel Delivery Services - Digital Camera. The above item is awaiting your instruction to arrange delivery to your address."

The complaints are being investigated by telephone watchdog Icstis, which has now disconnected the premium rate phone line.

The card originates from a post box in Wrexham, Wales.

Ivan Hancock, divisional trading standards manager for the county council, said: "Spending nearly £10 on a call to the so called 'despatch line' is a costly mistake.

"It looks as though the new year is bringing us the same old tricks aimed at conning consumers.

"Be wary of anything suggesting you dial premium rate numbers which begin 090."

* so seems like the £350 bill was b/s lol, but the scam is genuine.
well, as genuine as a scam can be :/
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

benny hedges wrote:
Zakalwe wrote: * so seems like the £350 bill was b/s lol, but the scam is genuine.
Correctumondo.
Premium rate costs in the UK currently vary in cost from 10 pence per call/text to £1.50 per minute/text. These charges apply when calling services from a BT landline. (source Ofcom).

Ringing an 09 number and getting charged £10 is feasible. Getting charged £350 is pure BS. Most of those stories are spoof emails, or are cover stories for someone who has rung an 09 "Horny Wet Grannies" chat line*

*and no, I do NOT know the number!
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

My mate just had this happen! He was selling his RC8 (hes only had it three weeks yet hates it) on MCN. He was sent an email from a fella in ROI saying he would send him £7,500 in bankers drafts to cover the 6.8k he wanted for the bike and the rest to be giving to the person he was sending to collect the bike...He was chuffed....When he told me, this thread sprang to mind! Shew him it and he ignored the rest of the emails and traded it in today on a ZX10
gilson

Post by gilson »

Zakalwe wrote:
benny hedges wrote:
Zakalwe wrote: * so seems like the £350 bill was b/s lol, but the scam is genuine.
Correctumondo.
Premium rate costs in the UK currently vary in cost from 10 pence per call/text to £1.50 per minute/text. These charges apply when calling services from a BT landline. (source Ofcom).

Ringing an 09 number and getting charged £10 is feasible. Getting charged £350 is pure BS. Most of those stories are spoof emails, or are cover stories for someone who has rung an 09 "Horny Wet Grannies" chat line*

*and no, I do NOT know the number!
I heard about this and the high price originates from within another country without regulations so they can charge a huge amount per minute.
No bike (yet).
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Eclectic wrote:My mate just had this happen! He was selling his RC8 (hes only had it three weeks yet hates it) on MCN. He was sent an email from a fella in ROI saying he would send him £7,500 in bankers drafts to cover the 6.8k he wanted for the bike and the rest to be giving to the person he was sending to collect the bike...He was chuffed....When he told me, this thread sprang to mind! Shew him it and he ignored the rest of the emails and traded it in today on a ZX10
An update on this. The cheques came from, but seemingly genuine business cheques totalling £20k for a bike listed at £6.8 haha

Last edited by Eclectic on Mon May 23, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

To mess with a scammers bank account? Good luck :)

Edit: Best to air on the side of caution I 'spose.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

i saw an sv1000 on ebay a couple or three years ago. the pictures were of a very nice condition 2005 model, unusually the number plate was on display and a quick check on askmid confirmed that the reg was insured on a sv1000. the price was 1500 to 2000 under what i considered would be a good price.

too good to be true?? i got into an e mail conversation with the seller who was selling it on behalf of a doctor who had had to move back home to denmark or somewhere. all sounded fishy but the guy made no demands for credit card numbers or bank account details and was even going to bring it down here on a truck from newcastle. i was getting quite serious about buying the thing. a couple of burly mates waiting with me as backup in case of problems would be in order , i could,nt see where i could go wrong? then i got bombarded with e mails from e bay telling me to exercise caution with this seller and generally putting me off even though he had all the positive feedback etc they as good told me not to do it .... so i didnt. i never got to the bottom of what it was all about i guess he didnt own the bike???
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

the one about the DPS delivery is correct!
I work for Royal mail, the facilites management side and we are warned about scams and that one is real