Tank bolts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Miztaziggy

Tank bolts

Post by Miztaziggy »

How do you remove the back two tank bolts? You may be able to see in photo there is a yellow lip on the tank covering the 2 bolts and there is a metal lip in front of them meaning you can't get a spanner in...im confused :-(

kevg

Re: Tank bolts

Post by kevg »

Socket set?
cheerz

kev
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

I just remove the long bolt on that bracket that the tank pivots on, 10mm iirc. One of the bolts your talking about holds your shock on!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you want to remove that bracket - you need to take the tank off: 2x 8mm at the headstock end and 1 x 10mm horizontal at rear of tank + unplumb fuel hoses , breathers and vacumm hose (take careful note 0f what goes where)

As previous poster points out one of your target bolts is the top shock mount! not tank retainer bolts. Have you downloaded the Honda service manual PDF from the workshop section or got a Haynes manual to hand?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

what Wicky says is that the 2 bolts you are looking at are NOT the way to remove the tank!!!!!!!!

look from the side under the back of teh tank and you will see a 10mm bolt going across the frame. That removes the tank off the black bracket you are seeing in the Photo.
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Tue May 03, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Oh baldrocks :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks guys :)

I never noticed that horizontal bolt, just saw those two and was confused by how to take them off. I had wondered why one was bigger than the other too, I guess that will be the shock mounting one.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Wicky wrote:If you want to remove that bracket - you need to take the tank off: 2x 8mm at the headstock end and 1 x 10mm horizontal at rear of tank + unplumb fuel hoses , breathers and vacumm hose (take careful note 0f what goes where)
and dont forget to disconnect the fuel level sensor connector from the loom at the rear of the tank, otherwise you will snag it as you walk away with the tank and probably drop it.
there will be swearing, tears and a hefty bill. :Ball Kick:

then dont forget to reconnect it, or the fuel light will be on all the time, you will forget to reset the trip and run out at the bottom of a hill. in the rain.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
alec

Post by alec »

benny hedges wrote:
Wicky wrote:If you want to remove that bracket - you need to take the tank off: 2x 8mm at the headstock end and 1 x 10mm horizontal at rear of tank + unplumb fuel hoses , breathers and vacumm hose (take careful note 0f what goes where)
and dont forget to disconnect the fuel level sensor connector from the loom at the rear of the tank, otherwise you will snag it as you walk away with the tank and probably drop it.

then dont forget to reconnect it, or the fuel light will be on all the time, you will forget to reset the trip and run out at the bottom of a hill. in the rain.
this all sounds like the voice of experience :D
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

alec wrote:
benny hedges wrote:

this all sounds like the voice of experience :D
very very nearly. more than once! :oops: some people never learn!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

:lol:
If I may say, this post exemplifies what VTR1000 dot org is all about and is a prime example of the quality of the membership. :thumbup:
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
tinysmall

Tank bolts

Post by tinysmall »

Don't forget to turn the fuel tap off before disconnecting the hoses or you will get wet. 10mm open ended spanner I think? Could be 8mm? Can't remember. But it is a spanner you need :)
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

tinysmall wrote:Don't forget to turn the fuel tap off before disconnecting the hoses or you will get wet. 10mm open ended spanner I think? Could be 8mm? Can't remember. But it is a spanner you need :)
In parctice, you don't need to turn it off as the diaphragm will stop the fuel flow anyway, unless its pershed, but then you'd get symptoms anyway. I never bother to turn off the tap when taking the tank off.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Fazermike

Post by Fazermike »

tinysmall wrote:Don't forget to turn the fuel tap off before disconnecting the hoses or you will get wet. 10mm open ended spanner I think? Could be 8mm? Can't remember. But it is a spanner you need :)
8mm :thumbup:
"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There is no fuel tap on later models, they have a tap that comes off with the tank.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
darkember

Post by darkember »

tony.mon wrote:There is no fuel tap on later models, they have a tap that comes off with the tank.
Is that the device I took photos of in the new post I have written on tank removal. I still have not disconnected that pipe as I don't know if the fuel will flow. The tap itself does not look big enough to house a diagphram affair like on the bandits that prevents fuel flowing unless a vaccum present?