cheap baffles?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
benny hedges

cheap baffles?

Post by benny hedges »

need a set of baffles / db killers for your noisy cans?
i do, for an upcoming track day - no way will my cans get on the track lol, way too loud.
i did get some with the pipes but they blew out while blasting it...

i was going to weld some up until i saw some perfect fitting parts in my boot...
you can get these at any big plumbing place or bss / pipeline centre - there will be somewhere local, or i'll find an online supplier and add a link.
yes i know you can buy db killers off ebay for a tenner, but apparently they are shite, and the ones viper (and other makers) sell are like £30 - 40 a set.

these fittings come in at £3.50 each :thumbup:
or a bit more for stainless.

get 2 Sanha (or yorkshire) 42mm m&f (male & female) 90 degree crimp elbows

or 2 42mm 90 degree ff crimp elbows

these fittings are used instead of threaded galvanised & stainless fittings, you push the pipe in and use a tool to crimp the bellowed end over, but to make baffles, just cut the end off like this

drill a small hole in the bottom of the outlet spout (if there isn't one already)

whack the new baffle in and secure with nut & bolt - done

these fittings are available in copper, carbon steel & stainless and will polish up great.
looks the part imo.
(have a look at the sh1t on sale on ebay and you will see what i mean)
in practice they work well, all they do is deflect the sound wave without causing too much obstruction.
ive just had mine ticking over in the garage whereas before the plod would've been round by now lol!

these will fit viper, laser, art etc (and probably more) with angled outlets.
if your cans have straight outlets just get 42-38mm crimp reducers instead of elbows.

*just looking at these 42mm obtuse street elbow fittings which would be perfect straight out of the box - i get a good discount on these so i'll see how much a box is... might ebay them lol :D
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marravtr

Re: cheap baffles?

Post by marravtr »

look good quality those mate, im still after some for me blueflame evo's (to loud for the track) i emailed blueflame..... :eek2 £115 + vat +delivery!!!! feck that
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Excellent idea :clap:

Mind you, you'll have to remember to ram the wire wool down the open end with a broom handle BEFORE you fit them. Lovely sparks, on a dark night.
(health and safety warning- wire wool ramming may discolour your cans :eek2 )

Can you get them in carbon fibre or titanium?
And can you still get flame-outs from killswitch backfires?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

marra drop us a pm & i'll mail you a pair.
got a load from work lol - you'll have to cut them yourself to suit your cans but they should fit. ok & will definately quiten them down a bit :beer:

wire wool at night is very dramatic lol!!! :cool2
no need to stuff the cans to quieten them down though - with straight through pipes its just that the sound wave travels unimpeded down the can.
with these, the gasses can still flow free but the soundwave bounces back a bit thus making them a bit easier on the ears
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good bit of lateral thinking there Benny. :thumbup:

With those pipefittings and the vacuum vales fitted on the bike so far, what other things borrowed from work are planned to be fitted over the winter :D
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

funny you should say that.... today i found an ihi belt driven 18psi blower with 2" bsp manifold.... mmmmh wonder what i can do with that lol :think:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ah- a Firestorm-based street sweeper.

Handy with all the leaves about at the moment......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

300 mile verdict???

very happy with them!!!
so was everyone behind me!
& yes, i still get flames out the back (when it's gone dark that is...)

picked up a box of 12 from work so if anyone is stuck on mot day, let me know, your cans will most definately pass with these in, and i should be ok for oulton park on tuesday (decided to sack off cadwell on the 12th)
rumbleguts

Post by rumbleguts »

Hi Benny, I,ve been reading this thread with interest as I have ART cans on my storm which are a bit loud. I,ve looked around for the elbows you mention and get blank looks from most shops. Have you got any left in your stash so you might be able to sell me a couple?? I would sure appreciate any help.

Cheers mike
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh spose so, whereabouts are you.... i have some in the garage
paddy

Post by paddy »

class idea. must get some as i have viper super stubbies....cheers
rumbleguts

Post by rumbleguts »

I'm near Lincoln, You,ll need to post em I think, I,ll send a pm after work and of course I,ll pay all expenses etc. Many Thanks for helping Mike
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

no probs badarse... pm your addy etc and i'll send some off on payday (thurs)
you'll have to cut them down to suit your cans as per the thread...