Another strange noise!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
FVFstorm

Another strange noise!

Post by FVFstorm »

First post on the forum and its to diagnose a problem! ah well great forum btw

Bought a storm about a week ago lovely bike upgrade from a VFR 750, I have noticed a strange noise and I just want to iron it out incase its the dreaded CCT issue!

Bike starts and idles fine so sign of this noise but when I pull away there is a definate "Clack Clack Clack" when letting the clutch out at low revs and when the engine is under load basically only hear it when I am pulling away or when the bikes a bit cold its not so bad once I have been riding for a bit but does it without fail when starting in the morning and for the first 15mins of riding when pulling away. As I say at above 2k rpm you dont hear it at all.

Could this be the CCT? could it be the clutch? I just dont know so any advice greatly recieved!

Cheers

Francis
vtwin

Re: Another strange noise!

Post by vtwin »

What condition are your chain and sprockets in?

Oh and welcome ! :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtwin wrote:What condition are your chain and sprockets in?

Oh and welcome ! :beer:
I was going to say the same, and worth checking the cush drive in the rear hub, you shouldn't be able to move the rear sprocket backwards or forwards without the rear wheel moving if the cush drive rubbers are in good condition.

Chris.
FVFstorm

Post by FVFstorm »

Chain and sprocket look in pretty good nick teeth are not worn that much certainly not shark toothed!

The noise def sounds like it's coming from the engine.

I appreciate the replies and thanks for the welcome.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Might be where the chain is touching the link pipes.
Try wheeling the bike forwards with the engine off.
If you can hear a regular clicking/clanking, that might be it.

Getting the chain tension right on Storms is quite difficult at first, because it needs to be tensioned correctly when the weight of the driver is on it.
So get a mate/GF/significant other to sit on it and then tension it.

It could also be the front sprocket, so pull the cover off and see what's in there.
Or possibly a small stone in the front sprocket cover.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
FVFstorm

Post by FVFstorm »

right another days riding a bit more of a chance to listen!

So it sounds like its coming from the front cylinder and it sounds like a woodpecker has attached itself to the engine and is tapping as I accelerate (yes I have checked for a woodpecker but there was not one!). It is there subtley when idling but gets worse just as I pull away alot louder.

Now after about 10 mins riding is alot less noticeable and does not even seem to happen when pulling away.

Def not chain or sprocket as sat idling it makes the noise just worse under load, bike rolls freely with no engine on and makes no noise from the running gear.

Any other ideas? could it be the cam chain on its way out?

Other thing that I noticed it seems to get quieter once the bikes warmed up to the first notch on the temp gauge.

cheers guys
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Front CCT.

Check by taking off tank and end cap of front CCT, then put a tiny flat blade screwdriver down the end and see if you can feel any spring tension.

Urgent, as if it jumps teeth it will bend valves and cost you money.
FVFstorm

Post by FVFstorm »

Ok got a set of manual CCT from Tom on here really nice btw

Fitted them fine and still the noise is happening. Its definatley a solid sound that only happens under load like pulling away or accelarating to overtake ones the engines out of load its just quiet. Any more ideas on what to check its a really difficult noise to place as from different points around the bike it sounds like its coming from front, back etc Have changed oil out last weekend bit black but no metal in it. Also changed sparks.

Cheers

Francis
warby221

Post by warby221 »

im sorry to say noise under even load from the engine indicates small end bearings are shot
by even i mean get it on a hill and hold a constant throttle riding it up
there's also a few chains and quieting gears around the engine to that can make some strange noises
try the steep hill first to see if its still there under constant load
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Not sure what bike you had before, but these engines are a bit agricultural as there are big lumps of metal swinging round and it could be that what you hear is fairly normal for the bike when cold.

so if you are used to a nice small pision size twin or an IL4, this is not the same!
also I found when I fitted my Moriwaki Belly pan, the engine noise reflected back up is louder
and finally, if you have standard pipes you hear everything..........fit some loud pipes, wear earplugs and ride :)
AMcQ
FVFstorm

Post by FVFstorm »

Under constant even throttle there's no noise however under heavy load it's apparent eg: where the momentum ofvthe bike is low so pulling away with alot of throttle or a quick overtake from behind slow moving vehicle.

If it's the small end how big a job is it? I have facilities to drop engine out and disassemble if needs however would like to try and get a definate on it before I do! Are there any storm owners around the Nottingham area who would be able to cast an ear over it?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That has to be your best bet, then, find someone else locally who has one and swap bikes for a few miles.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

tony.mon wrote:That has to be your best bet, then, find someone else locally who has one and swap bikes for a few miles.
plus one on that
"your not just hearing the induction noise are you????" :problem:
at low rev's and big throttle openings that can give some strange noises from under the tank if your not use to the sound of a v twin
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
FVFstorm

Post by FVFstorm »

Sorry to drag this one back up but I have had a chance to ride the bike alot more recently and have noticed some other symptoms and wondered if they are all linked! So the noise is still there still very noticeable when cold not so much when warmed up except when given a handful. Mainly below 2-3000 rpm when pulling off. Spoke with a friend of mine who used to race nortons etc and he thought it might be piston slap?

Also noticed after a long ride from london to Nottingham the fuelling is pretty unsteady as in if I roll off the throttle it takes about 2 or 3 seconds sometimes for the engine to react and then it's major engine breaking as the clutch is all out.

Finally I can't get it to rev over 7k it kind of hesitates at 7 and then just won't get any more powerful no matter how much I give her and kind of pulses on and off power until I drop down the rev range?!?!?

I am very confused could I have timing out?

Thanks guys
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Looks like you set the timing 180 degrees out when you did the manuals. There have been a few on here that have done that lately. With regards to the noises... don't you warm the bike up before riding? I always warm mine up till AT LEAST the first bar before going near the throttle. Cold starting kills bikes early. Having said that, I know the noise you're on about though. I sometimes get it if I grab a fist full at under 2k. It's fairly normal for a big twin. Remember that each pot is 500cc's and your dumping a massive amount of fuel and air in there at low revs. The bike just sort of protests a bit sometimes.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!