Fan not coming on = bike running hot. Help please !!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freshfunkmeister

Fan not coming on = bike running hot. Help please !!!

Post by freshfunkmeister »

After the all day shenanigans at snetterton yesterday, I was coming back home thru town and I noticed the temp needle climbing a bit high. Looking down, I saw that the fan wasn't coming on. Is this the thermostat or something ? Help appreciated !
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

www.classicreplicasuk.co.uk

All donations will go towards the completion of the car. Thank you.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi there
IT IS MORE THAN LIKELY YOUR THERMOSTATIC FAN SWITCH IM NOT 100% SURE WHERE IS IS ON THE STORM BUT IT IS USUALY ON THE RADIATOR SUMWHERE ITS A SWITCH WITH TWO WIRES COMING FROM IT. IF YOU TAKE THE CONNECTOR OFF AND BRIDGE THE WIRES WITH THE IGNITION ON THE FAN SHOULD OPERATE. IF YOUR FAN WORKS WHEN YOU DO THIS THEN IT IS AMLOST CERTAINLY THE FAN SWITCH. 8)
Ride it like you stole it!!
tattie

Post by tattie »

Fuse???

cheers
A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
marcus

Post by marcus »

HAHA GOOD POINT I WAS PRESUMING HE WOULD HAVE DONE THAT FIRST. 8)
Ride it like you stole it!!
freshfunkmeister

Thanks for advice, fiddling starts monday am.
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

ktd001

Hot stuff

Post by ktd001 »

If you haven't already sorted it...
If the fuse keeps blowing (mine did), check in the fan casing. I had a build up of tar and crud from our wonderful uk roads which was slowing the bfan so much that it kept blowing the fuse.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
freshfunkmeister

I changed the fuse, which had blown, then it blew again. If it blows for the 2nd time, It's off with the fairing and a good old look around !!

Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I'd guess the fan's jammed then.
WITH THE FUSE REMOVED try turning it by hand
It's easy to get a stone/bit of gravel jammed in there and that'll cause your symptoms

Ben
AlexVTR

Post by AlexVTR »

Stormin Ben wrote:It's easy to get a stone/bit of gravel jammed in there and that'll cause your symptoms
I second that... Same thing happened to me a little while ago. I took the occasion to "improve" the shroud a bit (clearance is quite tight and I recon the proximity to the rad's heat tends to deform it slightly).
I'm not tailgating... I'm drafting!
thehazmatguy

Post by thehazmatguy »

I had the same problem, fan wouldn't come on. My fuse was fine, fan turned by hand fine...

problem arose after I changed ignition switches from 98 vtr to 2003 954RR ignition switch. I made the change in winter, so it took me a while to figure out the fan wasn't coming on.

Anyway, my 98 vtr has a wire on the ignition switch that runs the fan alone. I moved that wire from the ignition switch to another switched + wire. = problem solved. good luck.
You know the Austin Powers movies? I have always wanted to date someone like Allota Fagina... but I always seem to date her sister Sandy.
--------------------------------------
freshfunkmeister

Thanks for all the advice !!

Thanks folks !! Problem solved. There was a wee stone jamming the fan. Thats it !! Works fine now. Phew !!